CEM / DURHAM UNIVERSITY PRACTICE PAPERS??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ennazus

CEM / DURHAM UNIVERSITY PRACTICE PAPERS??

Post by ennazus »

Hi there, completely new to all of this so if i'm posting in the wrong place I apologise.

My son is due to sit the 11plus in October and wanted to do a bt of practice over the holidays. We are in Warwickshire and they apparenly use papers from CEM with a mixture of verbal, non verbal and numeracy but dont say if they are multiple choice or not.

Just wondering if anyone knows if practice papers are available, as i've had no joy finding any. If there's not any specifically for this test, what's the best alternativeto use? Don't want to disadvantage him by having him revise the wrong type of paper, think it wold be better not to prepare him than to give him the wrong thing.

Any advice would be very welcome!!

Thanks [/b]
fm

Post by fm »

There are no practise tests available for the University of Durham exams. That is the whole point--trying to set an exam for which you can't practise.

I tutor for the Birmingham exam (which is also University of Durham) but yours is slightly different to ours. I suggest you search back over the Warwickshire site for any postings about the nature of the exam and that will give you some idea what to practise -- multiple choice comprehension, cloze tests, one-off non-verbals, no traditional verbal reasoning.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Practice papers are not available for the Univ of Durham CEM bespoke exams but take a look at the Warwickshire (and B/Ham ) forums for advice on the best type of practice papers.

The B/ham KE Foundation Grammar exams are not exactly the same as Warwickshire but they are set by the Univ of Durham CEM and are similar.

Regards
Rose petal

Post by Rose petal »

My DD is also sitting the Warwickshire 11+. We have been doing practice papers in VR, NVR, Maths and English. I am aiming to do a variety of papers (some multiple choice and some standard format) from different bodies, then at least she is exposed to various styles of questions and in different language formats.

If you search on the various subject sites the different bodies are sometimes ranked in how hard it is felt their papers are.

I have to say I have found the Bond How to do 11+ Maths and English books great (haven't got the VR and NVR ones though). I really could not remember how to calculate the area of an triangle or what an antonym is and they are great at providing those kind of facts.

Good Luck, I will be glad when it is over and I'm sure DD will as well.
ennazus

Post by ennazus »

Thank you all for your advice,rose petal, i hope your daughter does well, it sounds like you are more on the ball in prepaing her than I am!

I don't want to coach him too much or that will just falsify the result, I just want to give him an idea of what to expect so he doesn't panic at the format of the exam. He's very good at maths, reading and he has a good vocabulary range. If he's got a weakness it's in his written work. So i think i'll just follow your example and giv him a few different papers from different places, at least it'llkeep his brain ticking over during the summer!! Thanks again
newdawn

Post by newdawn »

Look at the Test-Help thread posted by Youngest
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now