CAF...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Alex

Post by Alex »

magwich2 wrote: Anyone with a bright child should be able to apply to any school they can realistically deliver them to each day.
Indeed they can do! There is nothing to stop anyone applying to any school - it is simply that one's chances of gaining a place at any school are determined by that school's admissions policy.

I fail to understand the argument that it is selfish to follow the rules. Admissions policies can be challenged through the proper channels by parents who wish to do so.
Ido not know the answer but I do find the thinking behind these kinds of discussions can tend towards the offensive
I rather agree with this.
fed up

Post by fed up »

I have to say I have some sympathy with Magwich 2's views.
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

I find Magwich's post extremely offensive and rude. It also shows that she has not understood the topic under discussion at all.

This thread is not about grammar schools but about applying for any secondary school.

Steve61's point that "rules are getting tighter and rightly so" was aimed at people who claim to live in an area to get into the school of their choice when they don't - this is not exclusively a grammar school problem.

Your post, and it's tone, has made me very angry.

I shall probably edit this post later, when I have calmed down.

(first edit has now taken place :oops: )
sterling

Post by sterling »

I think you need to remember that magwich2 is not one to respect the rules. You'll find, for example, elsewhere on the forum he/she considers it acceptable to allow his/her daughter to stay off school just because the sun is shining. This suggest a total lack of respect for the school, other pupils and civilisation in general!

Please don't take his/her comments to heart.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

What a difficult position you are in Ed's Mum. Does the LEA have any advice about what you should do in this situation?

I would have thought the safe school should be in the area of the address submitted on the CAF. Then if the address changes (after the CAF is submitted) that it would be reasonable to then be allowed to change the safe school. :?

I don't think you should rely on posters to give you the "right" answers in this situation. :roll:
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Dear Magwich

I have removed several comments from your post which were personal insults directed at another member.

Please re-read the Forum Rules on politeness and adhere to them in future.

Sally-Anne
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Hi Corv,

I'm with mitasol on this.

You definately need to speak to Warks Admissions as you don't have a usable address currently.

Presumably you will be able to submit a late form once you have an address???????

I'd be very interested to hear what they say (purely because I'm nosey!)

Looking forward to you becoming my neighbour - I highly recommend the quiet and pleasant estate down the road from me (within Ashlawn catchment).

xx
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Forgot to 'phone Admissions today.
Will try on Monday.
Thanks to all those who posted useful/helpful comments.

This is a thread that I started and refers specifically to the situation I am in - moving into a different catchment area - and what I should/cannot include on the CAF. Anything else can be saved for another thread please.
Alex

Post by Alex »

I think you would be best to ring your admissions department to discuss as well.
Generally you should fill in your CAF and submit to the LA in which you are living at the closing date and you are not permitted to change your preferences once the form has gone in. However, if your circumstances change as they do when you move house you are permitted to submit a new CAF. There is a critical cut off date though (here it is 31 Jan) after which the LA will not be able to deal with any new application because the first allocations are already beginning to take place along with exchange of information between local authorities.
Therefore, to cover the eventuality that everything goes pear-shaped and you somehow do not manage to move before the LA's cut off date for considering new applications it probably would be advisable to put down a a school local to you as well as those you want in the new area. The LA give out all these extra details about dates, moving house etc in their publications and online but admissions people are usually happy to discuss and advise in more detail.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Okay, I think I have it all sorted now...this is what needs to happen...

I fill out the CAF for Leicestershire but include the selective school in Warwickshire as my first choice. the rest of the places I fill out with Leicestershire schools (in case the whole sale falls through).

Then, when we have exchanged (as long as this is before the 5th Feb) we notify WCC that we have moved, provide proof, and submit a new CAF with Warwickshire schools on it. We will then be treated the same as all the others who are in catchment.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now