Shottery / Stratford Girls and homework

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Rose petal

Shottery / Stratford Girls and homework

Post by Rose petal »

Hi All,

Earlier today I started a thread regarding travel to school and time this leaves to do homework on the beyond 11+ section.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 39&t=15504

The school my DD is high up on the waiting list for is Stratford Girls, still aren't holding my breath though for a place. Can anyone advise me what the homework load is like at this school and if it generally has to be completed for the next day or can be done over the next weekend. My DD is used to doing homework as she has quite a bit from her Worcestershire middle school but if she does go to SGS she won't be getting home until 5:30pm ish and this then doesn't leave much time to do homework, have tea, go to guides .........

I am worried about long days 7:10am to 5:30pm (in reality probably a bit less as usually we would take her to and collect her from the bus stop) but she will have quite a walk at the other end (around 3/4 of a mile) and then with homework on top. This school is 15 miles from us so taking and collecting her on a regular basis is a no go for many reasons: 60 miles per day on the school run, situation of the school, working arrangements etc.

As we have not yet viewed this school, what is the general opinion, I am really at a loss as to whether I think a girls school is a good thing or not? I am not sure whether to arrange to view it soon or not, because I don't want her to get excited if she likes it but no place becomes available or we decide that due to the travelling problems it is not possible to take forward.

As I said on my other thread if she doesn't go to SGS it is likely she will be at a Warwickshire comprehensive (albeit a "good" one which obtains above average GCSE results) which is only around 4 miles from us.

Rose Petal.
magwich2

Re: Shottery / Stratford Girls and homework

Post by magwich2 »

I have 2 daughters at Shottery - one in year 8 and one in year 12.
I think the school is, on the whole, excellent.
My main grouse is that KS3 continues for far too long meaning that my DDs wasted a lot of their time doing useless subjects that they were going to give up come what may.
This meant that GCSE courses were a little hurried at the end and I do feel that time could have been managed more effectively in this respect.
To be fair, though, DD1 gained excellent GCSE results despite the over-emphasis on KS3
Homework is not too bad ( and by the sound of other girls who went to the local private school at 11) and much better than some other schools in the locality!
Let's face it - these bright girls have only got to do GCSEs in 5 years time so there is not really much pressure!!!
Other local schoolshave a MUCH worse rate of self harming and eating disorders than Shottery which really does not have much of a problem in these respects.
The other good thing about Shottery is the staff who really know how to treat teenage girls and get on with them very well.
I am the first person to criticise schools when I feel it is warranted but I would urge you to go for Shottery if you possibly can.
Good luck
midlandsmum

Post by midlandsmum »

In Year 7 no homework to be handed in the next day and very little in Year 8. Also because Shottery runs with a fortnighly timetable we've found that most homework has quite a long time before it has to be handed in which depending on the girl is not necessarily a good thing.
Katherine66

Post by Katherine66 »

Hi

my daughter is in Y7 at Shottery and midlandsmum is quite right when she says that in Y7 the girls never have to hand in a piece of work the next day. The girls quickly learn how to manage their homework with the aid of their trusty planners!

My daughter spends nearly 3 hours a day on a bus! She leaves home to walk down to the bus stop in the village at about 7.15 and gets home at 5.30. Initially I was concerned about this but she has just accepted that it is part and parcel of her day (although on the odd occasions that she is able to get a lift either to or from school she jumps at the chance). DD uses the bus journey as her 'down time' either chatting to friends or listening to her ipod. When she gets home she's ready to get on with whatever she has to. She has a pony and she has to sort him out before eating supper and doing homework (not to mention the on-line social life that has to be dealt with). Yes, she does get tired but we do encourage her to be in bed by 8.45-9.00 if she possibly can and we have had no problem with her wanting to stay up much later than that.

Is it all worth it? Undoubtedly yes. DD is SO happy at Shottery, she just loves it and the sense that she is in the right school for her is very strong. She has made some lovely friends, has a great, if rather sporadic, social life and is achieving very well. If you do get the opportunity to send your daughter there, then I would say without hesitation to go for it!

Good luck.
Katherine66
Rose petal

Post by Rose petal »

To all,

Thank you for your replies. They are very positive, I'm thinking that I will have to have a dummy run with DD of the bus and walk, preferably first thing in the morning so we can get a sense of how many others are on the bus.

P.S. DD requested the pink font :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now