Verbal Reasoning

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mike1880

Re: Verbal Reasoning

Post by mike1880 »

"Orthographic" means "spelling". I've ranted about that somewhere already, I can see no reason why they couldn't just have said "spelling".

Mike
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

mike1880 wrote:I can see no reason why they couldn't just have said "spelling".
Agree - whoever put up that load of gobbledygook for consumption of stressed parents is a complete idiot. Almost as if they deliberately want to make the process less accessible to ordinary people. I feel a nomination for the Golden Bull Awards coming on.
Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

I feel like the whole process is clouded in unnecessary secrecy. From what is in the test , to having to wait so long until your given the results. (I bet theyre marked within weeks).

Its like a big power ego trip by the Education people.
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

mike1880 wrote:"Orthographic" means "spelling". I've ranted about that somewhere already, I can see no reason why they couldn't just have said "spelling".

Mike

Oops! Forgot to mention DS1 has his "orthographic test", this Friday. :lol:

Must tell the teacher not to call it spelling anymore!!!
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

My son also said that there were some get from one word to another in 3 steps kind of questions, similar to those in Bond, etc.
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

Mr Benn wrote:My little buddy is really good at shapes and codes etc, so this is our big strength - a massive downer if there wont be any .
What do you mean by "shapes" and "codes"? I am pretty sure there will be no shapes questions in the VR section! But don't worry, I expect there will be loads of them in the NVR part! (Not that I am an expert or anything, but I don't see how shapes come into VR).
DenDe

Post by DenDe »

Hi Charlotte 67,

I'm not clear what you mean by
Charlotte67 wrote:My son also said that there were some get from one word to another in 3 steps kind of questions, similar to those in Bond, etc.
Is it the following style?
bind, hind bare, hare but, ...... ???
Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Sorry , Bad Dad , what i shouldve said was she is very good at codes and sequences of letters.

Gutted if the fellow poster is right and these wont be in the VR test.

Maybe we should do a breakdown of each part of the test and say what will be in it. I know we cant be 100% right, but I am sure it will be a great guideline to collate this information.
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

Mr Benn wrote:Sorry , Bad Dad , what i shouldve said was she is very good at codes and sequences of letters.

Gutted if the fellow poster is right and these wont be in the VR test.

Maybe we should do a breakdown of each part of the test and say what will be in it. I know we cant be 100% right, but I am sure it will be a great guideline to collate this information.
Well my work colleague's son is doing the exam next month. I know it's too late for current cohort, but I will try to do a de-brief and upload to the site, after that blasted purdah is over!!!

We do need rules to ensure that the purdah does not have a blurry timeline as in previous years. I think about 1 Jan is the right time to publish.

Edited. I do believe that we should co-ordinate all known content into a sticky as demonstrated by KenR in Bgham and Walsall forum.
DarkEnergy

Post by DarkEnergy »

Do not believe it!
Just found yet another student in Warks being tutored to do the traditional VR.
After 3 years, that is inexcusable of the tutor.
DEATH rides a white horse named Binky
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now