missed questions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
jujuflops

Re: missed questions

Post by jujuflops »

My DD told us that she also missed out a double page spread on the VR, as she thought the instructions at the bottom of the page said that they shouldn't turn over until requested to do so. Obviously in the heat of the moment it's easy for her to make a mistake, but having read the comments on this thread, I can't help wondering if there's a tiny possibility of an error on the paper?? I'm probably just clutching at straws though! If she doesn't pass because she is not up to the standard after giving it her best shot, that's fine, but I would be gutted if it was just due to her mis-reading instructions!
DarkEnergy

Post by DarkEnergy »

My DD confidently said she answered every question... I was delighted. Then she calmly told me she guessed lots of the maths questions which was meant to be her strongest subject! Go figure?

DE
DEATH rides a white horse named Binky
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

My son also said he guessed or left out large numbers of questions - not by accident, he just couldn't do them in time or couldn't do them at all! It wasn't half depressing to log on and read posts on Saturday night about how easy it had been and a score of 90% would probably be required! If that is the case, Bad Son 2 is totally sunk! Seems to have been more of a swing towards the view that it was a bit harder since then though. I take some heart from the experience of my elder son 2 years ago. He said he didn't really get what he was supposed to do for half the NVR and randomly guessed a lot of questions including a whole string of questions at the end. I was really worried about it. It turned out he got 24/37 which I would have thought was pretty poor, but that actually standardised to a score of 123 which was well above target for a pass. I don't believe that this paper could have been so much easier, and hope that missing out quite a few questions is not a disaster. Having said that, I am not exactly feeling hugely confident! Still, what will be, will be. I believe it is a good test and it doesn't lie.
Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

In these days of having the right to see almost any info held about yourselves, I dont suppose we get to see the childs actual paper ?
I think we should, so we could ensure its been marked correctly, for one. But also to ensure there wasnt any room for error if it really was misleading. Though I guess these papers are checked by independant panels before being allowed to be used in a test ?

But in the real world , the idea of the Education Dept actually telling us something .... (falls off chair laughing).
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

After March you are allowed to see the actual paper. You have to contact Admissions and go to their offices where they will hovver over you and do their best to hurry you but they do have to allow you to look at it. I think this is true whether or not the child has passed.

I have posted about this before but it is also probably worth writing to Admissions about the scores because the school admissions code does say that the local authority SHOULD (not MUST) give 11+ scores to parents before the preference form is completed.
When I spoke with Nick Williams last year he agreed that they should do so but said that it wouls mean holding the exam even earlier in the year so that it couls be marked in time.
Subsequent enquiries with CEM revealed that their contract requires them to mark and standardise the papers within 2 weeks so this is not accurate.
Also, other education authorities manage it - Glos, for example, take little more than a week to do this.
Mr Williams then said that knowing the scores would not provide enough information for parents but of course it would for the vast majority who would compare notes and have a pretty good idea if all was lost or if all seemed fine. Better than no-one knowing surely and would spare hundreds of children from extra private school exams and applications to schools in neighbouring authorities (thereby being unfair to children in those areas)

The only real losers would be the private schools who charge iniquitous fees for children sitting their entrance exams

If enough people wrote to Nick Williams (who is, incidentally, a really nice guy) then something might be done.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

In these days of having the right to see almost any info held about yourselves, I dont suppose we get to see the childs actual paper ?
In fact, exam scripts are exempt from access under the Data Protection Act. If the LA allow you to see the papers, they do so at their discretion, not because they have to.
Etienne
Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Excellent post magwich2 (there was a magwich1 ? :shock: )
Intersting you get to see the paper - didnt know that.

Certainly food for thought. As you say though, they can only tell you the score, and not if youve 'passed'. So if they say 85% , that doesnt really mean anything , though a 50% is almost certain you wont get in.

Of course, the Birmingham school exams are after the closing date for Worcestershire applications. So doesnt help there, but knowing your Warks one may be a guidance.
Last edited by Mr Benn on Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Well, if anyone feels strongly enough about this I suggest they raise an objection to next year's admission arrangements during consultation and if necessary pursue it with the Schools Adjudicator. The Admissions code says people "should" know their results before they have to return their CAF. Gloucestershire can manage this although taking their test a week later, and certainly there can be little excuse for Birmingham and Walsall not even taking the test until November/December respectively.

Mike
Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Sorry , to confirm, they will or wont give people the scores if they contact them ?

Has anybody actually tried / succeded ?

Thanks
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I don't know of anyone who has enquired, and been successful, in advance of allocations day in March. As was mentioned, it's a 'should' not a 'must'.

Sorry if that's not what you want to hear. I know it's a tough, long wait. I've been through it twice and felt the same as you I'm sure.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now