moving to warwickshire

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
um

Re: moving to warwickshire

Post by um »

Thanks for printing the full code, Solimum :D - I was trying to explain (badly) that attending a 'feeder' primary or Junior would only make you a higher priority if you lived within the catchment area anyway.

If you lived out of the catchment area, but sent your children to a feeder primary, that would give you no additional priority whatsoever. This is a common misconception and I just wanted to clarify it!

The point that if there are too many children in the catchment area for places, then priority would be given to those living in catchment who go to feeder Primaries, but this does not currently make any difference, as for both Arden and Tudor Grange, everyone has got in from the catchment in any case.

I asked Tudor Grange Head at the open day if they were to change their admissions criteria, but she insisted they would not and would stick with all the LA admissions procedures. However they are planning on opening a 6th form.
DarkEnergy

Post by DarkEnergy »

Whatever, Clueless123 do not send your kids to a school in Nuneaton. Higham Lane is pretty good but the rest ...
DEATH rides a white horse named Binky
solimum

Post by solimum »

um wrote:for both Arden and Tudor Grange, everyone has got in from the catchment in any case.
I'm pleased to hear that that has been the case recently - the "feeder" priority was added several years ago after Arden in particular had one very large intake year (270 - an extra class all the way through, including my DS2) - the following year they tried to restrict by distance within catchment and met howls of protest/appeals etc
clueless123

Post by clueless123 »

How long a commute is nuneaton from solihull or rugby in real life as it is difficult to guess these things from aa map
KenR

Post by KenR »

I suspect the Solihull to Nuneaton would be quite a long drive - you would have 3 main choices:

1. M42 to Tamworth J10 and then down the A5, or
2. A45 to Coventry and then round the ring road to the A444 to Nuneaton
3. M42 to Curdworth J9 and then take the B class back roads to Nuneaton

All are not particularly appealing, but option 1 or 3 might be faster.

The alternative option of using the M6 to Bedworth J3 I would tend to avoid as this gets very busy.

Probably looking a 45 mins to 1 hour journey but this does depend on time of day and traffic. Depends on the start time. If you are early and dropping a child off for a school bus then this might be ok.

Don't know about Rugby journey - sorry
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

Rugby-Nuneaton is around 30 mins. There are a few routes you can take but it depends on which side of Rugby you are travelling from.
Last edited by Rugbymum on Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andy-warwickshire

Post by andy-warwickshire »

Hello everyone. Does anyone know the actual web address for The Kingsley School in Leamington?

Thanks!
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

http://www.thekingsleyschool.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JPH1

Post by JPH1 »

Hello,

We live near Rugby in a place called Crick, which is very handy for the motorway, M1, and the A5 for Hinckley and Nuneaton. The local secondary school is Guilsborough and has some very good exam results. Our son completed the 11 plus back in October to hopefully obtain a place at the local GS in Rugby. With living in Crick though there are certain restrictions that were introduced a few years ago now with regards to children outside the Warwickshire area and the county council web site gives full details. Another alternative is Hillmorton in Rugby which is a very good area with primary and a secondary schools. We lived in this area before moving to Crick and our son and daughter are at the Catholic Primary school . With this area there is a short drive to the A5 and then on to Nuneaton. A few years ago I was at MIRA on the A5, just after Nuneaton, and the journey would take 30 to 45 minutes to complete.

I hope the above is usefull, if you need any further info. then please feel free to ask.

Cheers.
Woodyplant

Post by Woodyplant »

Have just returned to this forum for the first time since the nervous wait for results for DS 4 years ago! Now awaiting DD's results..... I read your post as we too moved to Warwickshire in 2009. DS gained a place at Lawrence Sheriff Boys Grammar whilst we lived in Northants but due to catchment changes, DD would not have the same opportunity. We moved to Dunchurch, Rugby and are delighted with the local primary. Bilton Grange pre-prep and prep is in Dunchurch too; Princethorpe College (aprox 5 miles) is a charming private secondary school with very reasonable fees and excellent pastoral care, and results. DS was already at LSS and DD is looking forward to the results of the 11+ next Tuesday and hopes to enter Rugby High School for Girls in September. (If not, she is off to Princethorpe.) If you are still considering a move to Warwickshire we can thoroughly recommend! Best of luck.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now