Rugby High an academy but Lawrence Sheriff not...?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Preston

Rugby High an academy but Lawrence Sheriff not...?

Post by Preston »

Sorry, but am new to the area and new to the schools, and it strikes me as odd that the girls grammar has decided to become an academy but the boys grammar has not. :?

With regard to admissions and curriculum it really is a BIG deal.

Any thoughts or comments from those of you who know Rugby and surrounding area better than I do would be more than welcome.

Many thanks, in advance of any information or views you may be able to give that can shed light on this.
Ed's mum

Re: Rugby High an academy but Lawrence Sheriff not...?

Post by Ed's mum »

Those who have children at those schools will be better placed to comment, perhaps, than I am.
If you visit their websites weekly then you could click the documents tab and read their weekly newsletters (the LSS one is called the Weekly Word). It is a good way to keep up to date with any developments.
Preston

Post by Preston »

Thanks Ed's mum, but I was hoping for the sort of info you can't find on publically available websites and newsletters; I've read those and am still none the wiser.

Having worked in education for years, I am not easily convinced by newsletter platitudes.

Any posters out there parents at LSS or RHS or, better still, Governors?
fed up

Post by fed up »

I'm not impressed. RHS is consulting on changing its admission criteria, while LSS plans to keep theirs the same. So if you live within Rugby and have a girl, she has less of a chance of a GS place than a boy would. If you're outside of E Warks with a girl, her chances are a bit better than your son's would be. I'm sure this can't be fair or legal whichever side of the fence you sit on.
Preston

Post by Preston »

Yep, it does beggar belief why they are not working together on this. (Apologies for another Daily Mailism, tis what happens when you're pressed for time. :oops: )

It's the politics of the smt's and staffrooms I'm interested in as well. Any governors or staff at either school out there?
fed up

Post by fed up »

You can reply to LSS consultation, addressing your response to Dr Kent. This has to be done by March 9th. I think RHS's consultation may have already ended.
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

There was a piece from Dr Kent about not going ahead as a Academy in one of the newsletters but I can't find the relevant newsletter.

You could try contacting the school to ask for the relevant documents.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now