Seems very quiet in Warks these days

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
phoenix45

Re: Seems very quiet in Warks these days

Post by phoenix45 »

well my son, and at least a few of his friends thought the same that maths was hard..lets see what is the average passmark for grammer school admission?
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Mine thought the maths was hard too "but I reckon everyone else found it even harder" - not sure how he worked that out! And he didn't get half the words in the cloze, but reckoned all the rest VR/NVR and comprehension was ok. He says he didn't run out of time except on the cloze where he'd at least tried it and decided he didn't know the answers. I suspect his claimed technique of putting in random letters for the ones he didn't know won't gain him any extra marks though!
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

ginx wrote:I'm beginning to feel (how sad is this), I should be teaching new vocab to my younger ds ... and he's only in yr 2!!!!!!!!!
I know that feeling except that my younger one is only 5 and I probably ought to concentrate on getting him to be able to read words of more than one syllable first! :) I'd definately start on the vocabulary earlier if we were starting again now - especially the type of words which tend to appear in more literary styles of fiction rather than the factual books and, if we were lucky, Alex Rider that ds would read.
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

No detail needed, but was the following still included:

1. Cloze (missing words)
2. Comprehension

EDITED: Sorry. Just viewed Okanagan's post - both are included.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Since cloze and comprehension are both specified explictly on the admissions policies of most (all?) of the schools the test is used for, they would probably be laying themselves open to all sorts of challenges and appeals if those sections were taken out. So saying that they were, as expected, there probably isn't giving away any useful information.
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

Okanagan wrote:Since cloze and comprehension are both specified explictly on the admissions policies of most (all?) of the schools the test is used for, they would probably be laying themselves open to all sorts of challenges and appeals if those sections were taken out. So saying that they were, as expected, there probably isn't giving away any useful information.
It might not be a bad thing for all DPS to submit content to the Warks Moderator (Ed's Mum) or the Bgham Moderator (KenR), while it is still fresh. The Mods will disclose it at the appropriate time.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Hi, Okanagan and everyone.

Are we allowed to mention details of the exam on here - it looks like we can't.

Presumably I can say my dd found the maths very difficult and left at least a third out? She struggled with some of the cloze but said the rest of it was "quite fair".

Just so glad it's over.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

I think we can talk generally about which sections were hard/easy/not enough time - but not specific info about what the questions were or the topics of the passages, or any sections which were in that we weren't expecting, or out that we were expecting to be in.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Serendippyty

My dd found the maths very hard (but she isn't good at maths) but I think found the rest as she expected, apart from some of the VR - I don't know how much I can say - but overall she considered it difficult, but fair.

It's going to be a long five weeks but it's such a good feeling it's over .... can never ever do it again ...
shakey

Post by shakey »

Hi everyone
My DD had some difficulty with her Cloze mainly. The rest seemed 'ok.'
And that was about the only feedback I got. :roll:
So I left it that & decided to enjoy the rest of the day with her without exam talk.
It all seems a bit of an anti-climax - we all expect them to sail through the test but it doesn't seem to work like that with these CEM tests.
The positive to take is that there's only 5 weeks to the results.
Good luck all!
Shakey (& unfortunately still shaking as much as before).
PS To ginx, Okanagan et al - remain postive - your DC has done their best & we can't change a thing now anyway.