Alcester waiting list

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
DenDe

Re: Alcester waiting list

Post by DenDe »

I am no expert, but I think I read that if there is more than one child with the same mark they will decide between them by the distance they live from the school.
That's right, but I don't think you would move house for this slight advantage.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

KatieG wrote:My ds got 322. I'm really hoping he'll get on the AGS waiting list with that - sounds like you think he might?

Does it matter how close you live?
Should get Alcester waiting list I think = looks likely to be about a 323 or 324 AQS (subject to lots of variables though) this year. Waiting list is done by distance (closest first) within descending score. So a higher score will have precedence over a lower one, but with equal scores the closest gets precedence.
KatieG

Post by KatieG »

Thank you for the info everybody! Much appreciated :-) We are going to move house anyway (partly for work reasons and partly for schools) so not just to get closer to KES/AGS, although that was in my mind too. Does anyone know what the chances of getting a place are, if you're on the AGS waiting list?

If ds doesn't stand a chance of getting into AGS then we might have to change where we move to in order to get into a good comprehensive. Maybe solihull for tudor grange/arden or chipping campden. (DH works in Oxford & Bham). Does anyone know anything about those options? Only a couple of weeks top decide before the CAF has to be in so my head is spinning with options!

Thanks again. What a helpful forum! Wish I'd found you all sooner.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Suspect you may struggle with Tudor Grange / Arden as I think they go on fairly strict catchment / distance criteria and that tends to be where people are living at the time the CAF goes in - they are both very popular and I suspect oversubscribed - might be some info on the Solihull website - I'll have a hunt

ETA :

Distances for TG :

2012 Priority 4 - 1.575 miles
2011 Priority 4 - 0.762 miles
2010 Priority 4 - 1.069 miles

Arden:
2012 Priority 4 - 2.942 miles
2011 Everyone who applied was offered a place regardless of where they lived
2010 All the children in priorities 1, 2 and 3 were offered places. No priority 4 children were offered a place

Priority 1 = looked after, 2 = catchment, 3 = sibling, 4= remainder.

and looks like you can move house up until jan1 2013
KatieG

Post by KatieG »

Thank you Hermanmunster. So if its done on your address when you submit the CAF then no, we don't stand a chance with Arden or TG. Thank you for the information.
KatieG

Post by KatieG »

Hi Madparent, I know what you mean! We're considering moving for similar reasons. Sometimes I think its totally do-able, and then (after a long, busy day usually) I think I must be mad to even consider it. The trouble is, if we move to alcester/stratford area, and he doesn't get into AGS, where will he go? Is Stratford High any good? Or should I sell a kidney and send him to warwick?? :? :lol:
serendippyty

Post by serendippyty »

My eldest is at stratford high and we are very happy with it x
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

KatieG wrote:...Maybe solihull for tudor grange/arden or chipping campden.
My 2 elder children are at AGS. For competitive reasons I need to tell you it is a terrible awful school.
To be serious though, most people in our village go for Chipping Campden and they all love it.
For our daughter, we have gone for:
1. AGS
2. Chippy
3. SGS
We only get 3 choices here in Worcs, but it is really 4 because you have a cast iron back-up choice of stay where you are in Middle School until year 8.
I hope she makes it for AGS because it is fabulous, but I would also be confident she will do well at Chipping Campden, based on what everyone tells me and all the friends she would have there. Mrs Bad did take the daughter around SGS and they did like it, but the single gender is a bit of a deal-breaker for us and it is not the easiest for her to get to.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Three is the minimum number specfified by the admissions code. If you were to enforce a common limit it would undoubtedly turn out to be the three you already have, not the six you'd hope for.
ChilledDad

Post by ChilledDad »

KatieG, I would recommend thinking long and hard about Warwick if it is a serious thought. They focus on the best, but you are beholden to them. They are not as selective as they would have you believe. They will discourage you from taking exams if you are not on course for at least a B. some of their pupils sit the exams at Myton if they are not going to achieve what the school wants: else it would dilute their place in the exam tables. If you are in the rugby first 15, that is all you are allowed to do, sports-wise. The other sports are irrelevant. If you have another commitment and the school wants you to play in a team, the school comes first else you are dropped, even if it is a prior commitment and would be rude to turn it down. If you are considering the independent sector, consider Arnold Lodge, Kingsley, Princethorpe, Solihull, Bablake or KHVIII alongside Warwick to make an informed decision.

My Ds had a strong 11+ result (top 15) and we are still considering KES or one of the independent schools. We have rejected Warwick, even though he would probably get a scholarship.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now