Ashlawn V LSS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

seandoyle

Re: Ashlawn V LSS

Post by seandoyle »

Thanks for the info

We are a bit concerned about bullying at LSS and ashlawn did seem more open about this on the visits.

The walk to the playing field through town appears a bit worrying but I guess they get used to it. the location in the centre of town for LSS doesnt appear great as it has a congested / car fume feel to it.

Also doing 15 GCSE's plus is a bit of a shock when I only did 8 (it was a while ago)

Liked Ashlawn but also as our DS has worked hard to pass seems a shame not to go to a real grammer school even though there are some concerns.
guest201

Post by guest201 »

LSS playing field is a 15 min walk form the school, less if you DS is a quick walker and it is not through the centre of town it is down a residential street.
Janeymorris

Post by Janeymorris »

Just to clarify people's concerns over the "loss of grammer stream" , the way ashlawn works is to have initially classes of children who have high sats scores and 11 plus passes in (this year 4 classes), then after year 8 when options are taken, all classes are streamed, so if you are in the grammer stream there is very little change for most, as only those classes do 3 sciences and 2 languages, but it allows any children who are particularly bright in other classes because either they didn,t have the price ledge of having a high performing primary or tutor or moved into area or are later developers to join the fast track top streams. I think people need to appreciate that a high 11 plus score is not always a marker of intelligence, just that they have had the opportunity to do more advanced work at an earlier age either because of tutor, primary school or parents which as mentioned above means they are bored in year 7 and 8 as you still have to do gcse in year 11 so what's the rush. This is why inner circle kids have lower scores, not because as everyone thinks they are less able, but because they have not needed to be 2 years ahead ofvage to get in. What I have been really impressed with ashlawn about is that everyone has a target for each subject and you aim to better your own target, so there is no feeling of failure and from what my son has said, all the children are supportive and offer congratulaltions to each other when they better their own goal. Outcome is there's no boasting, or feeling you are rubbish because you may not be as good as someone who has had a better primary or tutor.I think a lot of reasons that parents choose LSS or a grammer is to do with the security that your child is likely to mix with "better bred children from nice backgrounds", and we made a very difficult decision to choose aslawn over that choice, but I have that my DS has had challenging work, felt valued and have no concerns over him getting 10 As at gcse due to enjoyable lessons and individual goals.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Hi Janeymorris

Obviously as an Ashlawn parent and fan I am going to agree with you.

GCSE results are far more important than the 11+. Whilst I have slightly changed my mind about coaching (if you want to pass, get some coaching, it does seem to help, looking at my dd's friends' results), I totally appreciate not everyone can afford coaching, or have time to do it themselves. So it is up to children to show their own ability - or maybe they just have a bad day and don't get into a gs.

Life goes on, upsetting as it may be for dp's (more than dc's, it seems) at the time.

Having two dc's at Ashlawn, each do have their own target and at first I was surprised; I had assumed naively that all dc would have the same target (ie all expected to be at the same level by end year 8). My eldest is bright, in the grammar stream for sciences, and was given quite difficult targets. He tried hard to meet them with some success which pleased him. My dd is not academic and had much lower targets, but fluorished and reached them quickly. The increase in her confidence has meant, for her, she has come on much more than expected. She believes in herself! So now she has higher targets. Whilst I too like the idea of gs's (my dd has just passed and will go to RHS, hopefully), I have agonised over the choice. I think she would do just as well at Ashlawn with her GCSE results, and maybe even A levels. She has chosen and for many reasons we have decided on RHS. Janeymorris, you are making me re-think my decision again. I am also not sure about single-sex schools. We are lucky to have the choice of a gs, or Ashlawn with its selective stream. And you're right; it doesn't matter if you're not in the grammar stream. It's a good school with good results. I didn't like the school at first because of its size, but that hasn't bothered my dc; the more dc, the more likely they are to find a friend.

Edited out some comments that followed up on a post which has been removed. Moderator S-A.
Janeymorris

Post by Janeymorris »

I have a daughter yet to take 11+ and we will certainly be looking at RHS and choosing the school where we feel she will be happiest. I think you're right in looking at different options for different children.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

There's nothing magical about grammar schools, or grammar streams come to that. They take in clever children, they give them the standard national curriculum that everyone else gets and they come out with results appropriate to their ability. So yes, if your local comp does a good job of delivering the national curriculum to its top sets, why would you bother to go through the 11+ hoops? (Especially since people who have been to grammar school do far less well at university than those who've been to comprehensives.)
ginx

Post by ginx »

Mike1880, thanks for that answer! My 2 dc there insist there are currently 2 grammar classes. 11 plus passes and dc with good sats results mixed together. Does it matter?

I am not sure how it works. Ask Ashlawn or Admissions. If your dc got a place in the grammar stream at a good comp but not into a gs, would you complain? Ashlawn gets good results. Some people choose Ashlawn over Lss or Rhs.

My ds went in g stream for sciences only. I didn't ask why, just felt pleased for him.

Perhaps someone knows exactly how Ashlawn works; I just feel if you don't pass the 11 plus, it is the next best school because of its grammar stream and flexibility to move in or out of that stream. Results confirm that. Other secondary schools in the area do not get such good results - apart from the grammar schools of course.
suzysu

Post by suzysu »

mike1880 wrote: (Especially since people who have been to grammar school do far less well at university than those who've been to comprehensives.)
Interesting....is there evidence to support this?
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Yes - here
suzysu

Post by suzysu »

Thanks Okanagan....not sure what to think. This education malarkey is a minefield. I will reassure myself with this research if my DD does not get a grammar school place!