do parents come from comps, gs or independant

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nervousmom

Re: do parents come from comps, gs or independant

Post by nervousmom »

Neither me or my DH went to a GS or private school, we both went to local primary schools and local comprehensive schools. I got 6 o levels and started work just after my 16 th birthday.
DH got 6 o levels, 3 a levels and a degree in economics and left uni n 1990 when the country was in a dip and struggled to find work,
Things are tougher out there so feel that to give our DS the bst chance, a GS education is needed.
He has scored enough to get to KE Five Ways, his first choice, with another good score n warks exam so has KES as second choice.
ChilledDad

Post by ChilledDad »

What a truly great question.

Me: bucks grammar (co-ed). DW: comp (1st year of a former gs)( co-ed).

I wasn't pushed enough, unlike those that went to the boys GS. I was a lazy oik, who always did just enough.

DCs are both at a prep school. Dw and I disagreed when we chose that route, but expectations are generally higher than at state juniors. Options for us are KES or independent for DS. No view as yet for DD- a few years to go.

What is clear is that all parents want the best for their DC but I suspect that we are all significantly influenced by our own experiences and achievements.
Janeymorris

Post by Janeymorris »

Well, an interesting mix between comps and independants, enjoyed vs hated. I went to a large girls comp and in the main enjoyed it, in fact I don,t suppose I thought much about it, all my friends went there and that was that. Got average result, compared to my sister who got 10 As at O level and 4 at A level and went to Cambidge, I got just as good a job though from my Uni by luck and people skills ( something my brainy sister rather lacked), probably why I tend to believe that if you are happy, with good teachers and good parent support at the school you choose, you have opportunity to succeed. I,m hoping my DS will follow this approach, it would be useful to get some feedback from kids at all the different schools in Warks, wonder what they make of them all !
doodles

Post by doodles »

DH local comp and me girls private school on academic scholarship. Both uni and then prof quals, don't tell him I said this but he is much brighter than I am. DS's - one at GS and one going in September, both having a better and broader education than either of us.

We have always taken the view that by educating them we are giving them choice. They may choose to be labourers/dustmen/roadsweepers or whatever but it will have been their choice.
ginx

Post by ginx »

I agree Doodles. I'm never going to forget (altho forgave long ago!) my parents saying: secretarial course or job: then allowing my brother to re-take his A levels - because he was a boy. They wouldn't let me re-sit.

******** discrimination!

All our dc can choose whatever they want. I'm keen for them to gain independence - get a job, earn money, leave home - live with partners, friends, whatever - and be happy.

They can choose. My dh considers state education just fine (but we have reasonable schools here), because he went through the state system and did well. I went to private schools because they suited me better, and I think would suit 2 of our 4 dc - but we can't afford it.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Of course I hope they choose more lucrative careers so that they can keep their parents in their old age :lol: :lol: :lol:
suzysu

Post by suzysu »

Also agree with doodles.

I lacked self belief and confidence as a child/teenager and I think that inhibited me in education and career choices - in fact I didn't really know what I wanted to do when I left school and still don't (age 44!). What I really want is for my dc to have the confidence to be able to follow their goal, whatever is it. Thus the decision to at least try for the GS route for our dd this year. Generalising I know, but it does seem to produce confident young people.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Suzysu, I lack confidence too. I do wonder if I had gone to a big comp and made lots of friends rather than not coping and going to a private school, I would be better at coping with some situations as an adult (and I am 47!)

You are right, when we looked round the gs i thought how confident all the girls were (even those not officially showing parents round). Must be good to believe in yourself.

However, gs can turn some dc into rather precocious brats, we have noticed! But only some; after all, we are sending our dd to gs next year, hopefully.

I hope she grows up believing in herself. It can only be a good thing.
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

I went to a comprehensive for 3 years, it was fine, a few pretty mean kids but some nice ones too. I then went to a grammar (thank goodness) for my GCSEs and A-Levels, the difference was astonishing. It was more the aspirations and quality of teaching that differed. Pretty much everyone strived to do A-Levels and then degree. The teachers were able to teach, not just sort out the disruptive kids !

Also, when I was at comp I was top sets and great reports, which got me into grammar, but when I went to grammar, I was almost a year behind in subjects such as French and Math. I even had to drop French in the end I was so far behind.

I have nothing against comps, I do against poor quality comps. I also quite like single sex schools for girls, there are far less distractions once you reach puberty :-)

A very interesting thred. Some very interesting answers.

Sunshine 11
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera