Cycling to School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ginx

Cycling to School

Post by ginx »

I don't know where to post this because it may be about many schools.

My two eldest dc go to a comp with a total of about 1800 students.

They do not have lockers. My two cycle because 1) I can't afford the bus fare for 2 children and a third about to go, and 2) they want to cycle and 3) I want them to exercise.

This school has just introduced regulation uniform. My daughter has an old bike without a chain cover (we can't find one to fit). So she has ripped three pairs of school trousers (£18.95 each!) She has worn bands round her ankles but they've slid down (she's very thin) OR forgotten to wear one, and her new, rather flared, regulation trousers have torn. They look awful. She wore nice cheap non trendy black Asda trousers before (£7 a pair) for two years and none of them ripped (they weren't too flared).

Apparently children can go into inclusion for not wearing regulation uniform (although I've noticed lots of children don't wear it). To add insult to injury, she's just lost her school coat (£38). I refuse to buy new school trousers, we're looking for a new bike instead.

School suggest she cycles in different trousers and changes. Which is possible. But they have no lockers and she already has so much to carry. She plays the horn and manages to carry that. She does food tech. and has to carry that (food usually arrives home looking horrid, all mashed together), plus PE kit, and now, a pair of trousers). Oh, and she carries her bicycle lights, if she left them on her bike they would be pinched.

I feel that as we've had a cycle path built, the government are keen to encourage people to cycle, that school should provide lockers for cyclists. I'm tempted to contact someone high up in the school about this. I appreciate they can't provide 1800 lockers, but perhaps for cyclists? Does anybody else have the same problem? Probably not because so few cycle. We live 2.8 miles by shortest walking route - in practice you can't walk along the path as it's so overgrown and quite frankly, not many dp's would want their dc walking across a field. So it's just over 3 miles by road. Free bus pass at 3 miles. All very frustrating. Do I contact school or do we just somehow cope?
Cheerios

Re: Cycling to School

Post by Cheerios »

Its extraordinary that the school don't provide lockers. Of course they should, it doesn't matter how many students attend the school, each one should be provided with a locker.

I would email the head and cc your DCs' tutors (and the local paper!) pointing out:
Your DD will not be wearing regulation trousers until they provide her with a locker and somewhere to change.
Growing children will damage their spines, hips, shoulders if they are forced to carry heavy bags around alll day.
They should be encouraging physical activity, not discouraging it.

3 miles is a long slog to school and back. Walking across a field is crazy in the winter, I wouldn't do it, let alone my DCs. Have you tried talking to the council and pointing out that they have to walk over 3 miles if they are to be safe?
ginx

Post by ginx »

Hi Cheerios

I certainly have talked to school and Admissions (when they started) to point out that the only way they can safely walk/cycle to school makes the journey just over 3 miles.

I am going to email the head.

Okanagan's found a site where you can buy cheap bikes, for people who need them - like children.

My kids aren't keen on going on the bus, but I wish they had the option.

I will email the head.

Thanks for the advice.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

A pair of long socks into which trousers can be tucked will be a whole lot cheaper than even a cheap bike (and I wouldn't recommend one of those under any circumstances) and a lot easier to deal with at school than a spare pair of trousers. If not exactly chic along the way. But I agree the school needs to get its act together and provide some lockers; long term I suggest you focus on what you have to do to get them to sort that out.

Mike
ginx

Post by ginx »

Have tried it, Mike. She won't do it! It's not chic! She's not chic either, but she doesn't like to look different. As I said, previous non school trousers were cheaper and less flared. Most children don't wear regulation trousers. I think we might join them. The ragged look isn't good.

But her brother has some nice long football socks she could borrow. Problem is - damage is done. It's so expensive to buy new pairs (and it's partly the principle)
Janeymorris

Post by Janeymorris »

This sounds more like a dig at the uniform change more than anything else. I,m surprised she can cycle safely whatever trousers she wears given the amount of food tech, PE, art etcetc that my DS takes in, he routinely looks like a tortoise getting on the bus and would probably be very unstable on a bike with a rucksack. If I was her I.d just put a pair of elastic bottom track suit trousers over the top, ( Nike if fashion an issue) job done. lockers don,t work well at high school as children constantly leave books in them and don,t have them for homework, keys get lost, PE kits sit ther stinking for weeks etc. if its any conselation, many of my colleagues cycle to work, and their clothes hang round the office ..I guess we,re just not a very cycle friendly nation. One top tip for kids not loosing stuff, my DS was useless at primary, but I said to him he could have a fiver at the end of the first term if he still had all his stuff. He hasn't,t lost a thing! A miracle.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Janeymorris, there may be a hint of truth in your comment. It's not a dig at the uniform change (I prefer it) but the cost of it.

I'm surprised she does cycle safely, to be honest! Especially with her horn! Track suit trousers sound good.

I'm annoyed too because she's lost her coat. It hasn't turned up. School have been very helpful and I'm just wondering ... how long do I leave it before I know it is not going to turn up?
serendippyty

Post by serendippyty »

Mine cycle to high school too but they do have lockers. They have to be organised about emptying their bags at the end of the day and only taking what is required. My daughter also has ripped her trousers several times which infuraites me, they get caught in her chain!
ginx

Post by ginx »

I'm very impressed with my dd's school regarding torn trousers.

They have phoned and suggested that at their cost, I return the trousers to the shop, which has a seamstress, who will tailor the trousers to they are less flared and won't catch in the chain!

At a time to suit me - and cost - and with future trousers!

Very, very impressed. They couldn't do more, really.
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

I can't belive they have no lockers?!?!

My DS uses fabric wrist sweat bands on his ankles to keep trousers tucked in and that works a treat.

They are small enough not to fall down, and compact enough to pop in a pocket.

hth
x
Vic x