Still another three months to wait!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ginx

Re: Still another three months to wait!

Post by ginx »

So if more dc go to private schools, more places for my dd (can't afford private schools?)

I would prefer a private school, but the cost ....

Dh would need two jobs and I'd need two. I have no idea what we'd do about the cost of childcare on top. Right now I qualify for no working tax credit (is that the one I mean?)

And don't get me going on the fact we're losing our child benefit. My husband earns just over £50,000 and is unlikely to ever have a huge payrise, so he's planning to put the extra over into a pension fund, or else simply take a pay cut. It's all wrong. I get £242 a month (four children) and that is a lot to lose.
kongo1959

Post by kongo1959 »

ginx wrote:So if more dc go to private schools, more places for my dd (can't afford private schools?)

I would prefer a private school, but the cost ....

Dh would need two jobs and I'd need two. I have no idea what we'd do about the cost of childcare on top. Right now I qualify for no working tax credit (is that the one I mean?)

And don't get me going on the fact we're losing our child benefit. My husband earns just over £50,000 and is unlikely to ever have a huge payrise, so he's planning to put the extra over into a pension fund, or else simply take a pay cut. It's all wrong. I get £242 a month (four children) and that is a lot to lose.
If you're just over you will only lose a % of it, i.e. if you earn 53,000 you will lose 30% chb. I'm ( like many ) in a similar boat, thankfully I've only got one dc, the pension option is a good call as at least thoeretically you will get something back ( one day )
suzysu

Post by suzysu »

Only 37 sleeps to go, not that I am counting you understand! Probably good that dd seems to have forgotten all about it for now!
ginx

Post by ginx »

Hi suzysu

I honestly thought I was pretty much the only parent in Warwickshire on here ... there aren't many of us.

37 sleeps! We're getting there! My dd hasn't forgotten. She keeps assuring me she will do homework at secondary school, although she doesn't do it now.

I'm a bit worried that she has no doubt she's got to the gs. I need to see it to be sure, her mark/rank weren't fantastic.

As you say, probably good your dd has forgotten about it. My dd has numerous friendship issues still, and I bet they will just get worse on 1 March (or 2nd March) ...
suzysu

Post by suzysu »

Hi Ginx,

I have tried wean myself off the forum but can't resist the occasional peep! I seem to remember your dd did well, I fear we are much more borderline than you!

We too have had homework issues, my dd is perfectly capable, she just lacks self motivation. One week last term I decided not to mention it and see what happened. On the day it was due, it hadn't been completed (a couple of hours worth at least). Off she went to school without it. I suspected she would just say she 'forgot' it so unbeknown to her, I phoned the school. She was kept in at lunchtime to complete it and not surprisingly, things have improved since! Bad mum!

Friendships are hard at this age. None of my daughters friends would be going to GS. If (amazingly) she did get it, I fear it would be a hard last term at junior school. Anyway, I probably don't have to worry about it as our chances are fairly slim.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Suzysu, your dd sounds just like mine regarding motivation and homework. My dd is lucky with spelling and English, she just sort of cruises. She does not know what to struggle really means, or even to have to work hard to learn. She is lucky and it isn't fair. I make her do Maths homework, it is painful, she doesn't enjoy it!

She too has sat in the corridor at school doing homework. It didn't make her workany harder.

I worry about dd and homework at any secondary school and no, she didn't do so well that I am sure she has a place at gs. However, if she goes to the comp, she will do well and her friends will be there. She is a competitive girl for all her laziness and wants to go to the gs. Stay in touch! I bet there will be a few parents around in March ....
serendippyty

Post by serendippyty »

I still read but have nothing to really add at the moment as we are not borderline, our son's mark was too low for gs here in south warks (211 or 212, cant remember now!).
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

serendippyty wrote:I still read but have nothing to really add at the moment as we are not borderline, our son's mark was too low for gs here in south warks (211 or 212, cant remember now!).
Hi

What type of standarised score is needed for LSS, please. I must admit I have taken the "eye of the ball" as far as his 11+ studies are concerned and I would be interested to know the threshold scores for LSS. I can then look to work on his motivation/desire in order to improve his scores, sustainably.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Optimist wrote:What type of standarised score is needed for LSS, please. I must admit I have taken the "eye of the ball" as far as his 11+ studies are concerned and I would be interested to know the threshold scores for LSS.
Have a look at the past qualifying scores sticky. It might be a bit lower this year though as they've added extra places.
suzysu

Post by suzysu »

Well for those of us in limbo, we are down to counting the days on two hands. By this time next week it will be clear, one way or the other.......unless we find ourselves on a waiting list! I have to say I didn't imagine the whole process being so stressful!