11 Plus 2008 format

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Thank you Patricia, you are a true forum star.
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

Thanks! :D
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

This thread is a bit misleading, as it turns out. I spoke to the admissions people recently and as has been said by others, the format is probably changing this year. There will still be VR, but now also Maths and English (but probably no NVR). The person I spoke to also said it might be moving away from NFER, but nothing is certain until April. I feel a bit guilty about moaning so much about how narrow and formulaic the exam is! It sounds like it might actually be quite a good test this year. Being the sad obsessive that I am, I would like to know more about the probable format and the rationale. This forum has definitely proven an earlier and more accurate source of information than admissions! (Not that anyone is with-holding any information, I think the people who I spoke to in admissions are just unsure about what is being decided yet). If you know any more, please post.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Bad Dad

I haven't had any recent information, but I know that Warwickshire were considering using the University of Durham Curriculum Centre at one stage. They are the organisation that runs the bespoke KE Foundation Grammar entrance tests in Birmingham.

Warwickshire actually ran a trial of the similar GetINTU Digitial Entrance Test in Alcester Grammar early last year, but I think the timescales were tight and so they decided to go for an interim NFER exam for Nov 2007.

I would not be surprised if Warwickshire don't follow the KE Exam route and use a bespoke exam from Durham's CEM centre or even a Digital exam.

Regards
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

Bad Dad wrote:This thread is a bit misleading, as it turns out. I spoke to the admissions people recently and as has been said by others, the format is probably changing this year. There will still be VR, but now also Maths and English (but probably no NVR). The person I spoke to also said it might be moving away from NFER, but nothing is certain until April. I feel a bit guilty about moaning so much about how narrow and formulaic the exam is! It sounds like it might actually be quite a good test this year. Being the sad obsessive that I am, I would like to know more about the probable format and the rationale. This forum has definitely proven an earlier and more accurate source of information than admissions! (Not that anyone is with-holding any information, I think the people who I spoke to in admissions are just unsure about what is being decided yet). If you know any more, please post.
Thanks for the update - its good news in a way for my son...will be watching this space..
Boredwithitall

Post by Boredwithitall »

www.warwickshire.gov.uk/governors
Click on "Useful Documents" on left hand side
Scroll down to "Governor Briefing" and select the December one
Has a bit about the consultation on the 2009 admissions
Sassie'sDad

Composition of 2008 Exam

Post by Sassie'sDad »

Thanks for many interesting and informative posts on this subject. I suspect that there are may who regularly browse the Warwickshire pages and are keen to have an informed view on just what their children are likely to face. On the whole they don't post because they have no concreet information to disseminate.
I will continue to return and urge others to do the same. Supporting our children and teachers/tutors is one of the most worthwhile things we parents can do!
KenR

Post by KenR »

Boredwithitall has really found some useful information sources. (you should really change your id to Holmes or Morse) If you follow the various links and authenticate you can actually get hold of the full consultation document. The following is the key extract:-
For entry to Year 7 in September 2009

In schools where there is a selective process, admission at an automatic level will be determined by comparing the children’s performances in two tests commissioned by Warwickshire Local Authority from the University of Durham CEM Unit.

The standardisation of the new papers is likely to be different from those of the previous tests, but the Committees of Reference are asked to adhere to a similar standard of ability for admission for each of the schools involved.

The Selection Tests for entry to Year 7 in 2009

The tests will comprise two standard format papers (bespoke papers available only to Warwickshire County Council).

Children whose parents have registered for the tests will attend the tests centres to complete the test papers. Normally, each child will attend only one session. Details of the test centre are sent to the parent following registration, normally in August or September. Parents of children living in Warwickshire with difficulties in transporting their child to a test centre can raise their individual case with the Admissions Service.

The tests will be set in a morning (possibly an afternoon) session in test centres (mainly the grammar schools in each area) on at least one Saturday during the first half of the Autumn Term, 4th October 2008. If a second date is required it will be Saturday, 11th October 2008.

Each test will be of 45 minutes duration.

Paper 1 will include:
20 minutes verbal reasoning
10 minutes short maths questions
15 minutes comprehension

Paper 2 will include:
15 minutes longer maths questions
10 minutes data processing questions
10 minutes non verbal reasoning
10 minutes missing words in paragraph test (‘cloze test’)

Verbal reasoning involves the manipulation of verbal representations and the solving of verbally presented problems. Orthographic, syntactic and semantic abilities, as well as logic and other problem solving skills are needed in verbal reasoning.

Comprehension tests the ability to make inferences as to meaning within and between phrases, sentences and paragraphs; to derive the ‘gist’ of the meaning from a text; understand the vocabulary, and extract accurate interpretations of the written language.

Non-Verbal
Non-verbal reasoning tests eliminate cultural bias in intelligence testing and the possible bias against individuals who lack experience of a particular language or have difficulties with verbal elements.

The ‘Cloze Test’ consists of several short passages of prose. It needs an overall understanding of the passage, but it requires closer attention to the grammatical and syntactic elements of written language than in the comprehension test. The candidate selects the most appropriate word from a choice of three at various points in the passage so as to make sense of the phrase and/or sentence.
Mathematical Sections:
Short mathematical questions will test ability in mental arithmetic and recognition of mathematical patterns (curriculum free as possible). A rigorous test of working memory skills with a speed element to this section. Not all the candidates will be expected to finish.
Longer mathematics problems explore numerical problem solving requiring more stages of processing with a greater verbal element involved than in the short maths questions.

One familiarisation paper will be issued to each candidate registered for the tests with the notice of allocation to a particular Test Centre.

A single testing session will include:
Test Paper 1 (45 minutes)
Break for refreshment and toilets
Test paper 2 (45 minutes)

Supplementary tests will be held on 20th October 2008. These will only be available for those who provide proof of illness on the day of the original tests (doctor’s note) or who are able to provide evidence of special circumstances such as religious grounds or previously booked engagements prior to the date of the original tests. Late applications from parents moving into the priority area will be included in this group.
For info, the paper and format will be similar (but not identical) to the Birmirmingham KE Foundation Grammar exam.

There is also quite a lot of other useful information, well worthwhile parents taking a look at this.

Regards
Sassie'sDad

If Boardwithitall is Serlock Holmes you are Dr Watson!

Post by Sassie'sDad »

Dear KenR, Thanks your posting is a mine of information!
alcestermum

Post by alcestermum »

Wow, thanks Boredwithitall what a find! I've been browsing this forum on and off for a long time now and have registered just to say THANK YOU to you! 'Real' information is not easy to come by in Warwickshire so this is very much appreciated. :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now