Pssst - want to see some CEM style questions?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mystery

Re: Pssst - want to see some CEM style questions?

Post by mystery »

Oh thanks. Does that sheet vary from year to year? And if it does, is it because it is giving some clues on question types?

What percentage of children get to grammar via these cem tests in warks?
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

As far as I can tell, this is the same sheet that was sent out last year. If it gives any clues, I've no idea - this is our first go at the 11+.

The test isn't compulsory in Warks and is only offered in 2 of the 4 areas of the county, although there is nothing to stop children from the other areas taking it and applying for the Grammars, as the priority circles are quite wide. Especially in the south, where the circle also crosses the county boundary.

There is a sticky at the top of this forum which will give you some idea of how many gain a place out of those who took the test in previous years, but that of course doesn't include those Warks children who didn't.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

The sample sheet doesn't seem to offer any great clues, and only varies slightly from year to year. You can see the last three examples here - which claims they are "Sample questions from previous tests".

Precise figures for the % going to the Warwickshire grammars are hard to derive due to the priority areas extending beyond the county boundary, e.g. the Eastern area includes parts of Leicestershire, Northamptonshire and Coventry, and the Southern area parts of Worcestershire, Solihull, Birmingham. As the system here isn't aiming to select a fixed percentage, just to take the top performing candidates and fill the available places we can't easily quote ratios of selective:non selective places.

The closest estimate is that in the Eastern area, for 2013 entry, the 4 non selective schools offered a total of 790 places, compared to 250 places in the selective schools. After adjusting for cross border candidates, and those entering the grammars from the independent sector, it is probably about 20% of those in the Eastern area of Warwickshire (i.e. the inner area, for those who are local and understand the vagaries of the dual priority area).

The Southern priority area is much larger, and also covers more population centres - as reflected in the higher scores required for entry. The overall proportion is probably closer to 10%, but varies a bit from school to school, partly due to the disparity in the number of boys and girls places available.
mystery

Post by mystery »

57 questions in 34 mins in the bexley practice paper. Is this similar to the average time per question in the Warwickshire papers?
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

For Warwickshire:

2012 exam - raw score marks available (total across two 45 minute papers):
Verbal Reasoning 111
Numerical Reasoning 42
Non Verbal Reasoning 32
Total 185 in 90 minutes

2010 exam - raw score marks available (total across two 45 minute papers):
Verbal Reasoning 98
Numerical Reasoning 51
Non Verbal Reasoning 41
Total 190 in 90 minutes

So 57 questions in 34 minutes in the Bexley practice paper is taking it fairly easy in comparison!
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Hello all:

A maiden post for a maiden DIYer.

The link to the Bexley paper seems to have expired, or am I doing something wrong?

Can I also confirm that I am understanding the last post on this thread correctly?

In 2012, were only 42 marks available out of a total of 185 for numerical reasoning? That would imply that NR accounts for less than 25%?? Incidentally, can I ask where this breakdown comes from?
We've started preparing for the Sep 2014 test, but have been focusing solely on maths to date...might need to get our sleeves rolled up on R and NVR promptly.

This site seems full of useful information and no doubt I will be plaguing you all with silly questions between now and September.
Thanks and apologies in advance. :lol:
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Dubious wrote:The link to the Bexley paper seems to have expired, or am I doing something wrong?
I have now updated the links to the new addresses.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Dubious wrote:Can I also confirm that I am understanding the last post on this thread correctly?

In 2012, were only 42 marks available out of a total of 185 for numerical reasoning? That would imply that NR accounts for less than 25%?? Incidentally, can I ask where this breakdown comes from?
This was from a breakdown provided by Warwickshire admissions.

Don't get hung up on the NUMBER of questions being the same as the percentage of the total mark - they're not! In 2012 it was 1/3 of the final marks form each of Numrical, Non Verbal and Verbal. In 2013 it was 50% verbal, and 50% numerical + non verbal (not clear if there was any weighting to one vs the other) - and will presumably be the same this year.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Okanagan:

Thanks very much for repairing the link and for setting me straight on the breakdown issue. Very much appreciated.
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

CGP books have published 2 sets of CEM style papers since last year.