Good Luck...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
um

Re: Good Luck...

Post by um »

Warks were very different (and have been in previous years too) in that they allow parents to 'settle' their child in.

With the Birmingham exam, I can understand that the invigilators were keen to get things as organised as possible, but it was far harsher.

We arrived pretty early and as we were following the path round, two staff called out, rushing us along to keep walking which admittedly did make us both feel rather nervous. I think it was just slightly over-zealous crowd control as we weren't remotely late.
Then when my dd went in to the entrance and registration desk alone with her papers I was asked to leave immediately but 'hung around' to watch that she registered and lined up for the room ok which clearly annoyed some of the staff. I just couldn't walk away without seeing that the registration/paperwork was all ok. On my exit I saw a lot of parents standing by the windows and - I know it sounds a little mad - I thought I'd better go too in case my dd thought she was the only one whose parent had rushed off and left her.
I didn't see her but later she said she'd seen me and she was happy I was there. There was a male invigilator who was upset at all this (I can actually understand why) and was telling the parents off for (in his words) 'standing and gawking' through the windows.

It is a tricky balance to get right. But I agree that the children are very young - some having only just turned 10 - and they are in a very stressful situation in an unfamiliar environment, with completely unfamiliar adults supervising them. This should be taken into account.
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

I can imagine that that would be daunting for the DC's and stressful for the DP's!

It was nice to be allowed to settle DS in - I think he found it reassuring. The only thing I think should have been different would have been to maybe start getting the parents to leave earlier - I think they left it almost to the last minute and some parents dragged their feet.
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

Good luck to those DC's taking their test today - I believe its the final day for Warwickshire.