Age standardisation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

equation

Age standardisation

Post by equation »

Hi
How does age standardisation work?
My ds is July born - is it true that with standardisation that Sept children will be compared with other Sept children, Oct with Oct children, July with other July children & so on....?
My only worry is that my DS is quite immature & that this test might have come at least 9-12 months too early :(
Maybe someone can help to put it all in SIMPLE terms for dunces like me :lol: (Is Okanagan out there)??
Okanagan

Re: Age standardisation

Post by Okanagan »

Yes in theory (that's in theory they are compared with other children born in the same month, not in theory I'm out there :lol: )

In theory they could do a complete standardisation based on those from each month, but the sample size isn't really large enough for them to do that with any statistical validity, so in practice what it means is that there's an adjustment to the standardised score for each subject area to reflect their age - based on the average scored by the children born in that month. So (keeping it simple) if October children on average scored 1 mark less then September children, then they'd all get one mark added to compensate for that.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Okanagan wrote:So (keeping it simple) if October children on average scored 1 mark less then September children, then they'd all get one mark added to compensate for that.
So we have to hope there aren't any really high scoring summer born children putting their monthly average score up! :?

JD
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

There should be 150+ children per month, so that ought to be enough to dilute the effect of any one anomalous individual.
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

Thanks Okanagan - I finally understand age standardisation! :oops:
baleh0

Post by baleh0 »

Didn't realise about this. My son is an August birth and has just done his 11+.