KES Or AGS?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Brum Mum

KES Or AGS?

Post by Brum Mum »

Just speculatin'... :lol: (...and killing time til results day)!

If DS was successful in getting a high enough score to choose, what would people do? He's adamant (and so is DH) that AGS being mixed would be better, but I can also see the advantages of KES.

He's not a particularly sporty person but does play tennis and football with other children for fun. His school think that academically he's good at maths, but his tutor found his english to be stronger. He enjoys science and has a logical mind. Having said all of that, he likes being in a mixed class at school and is very sociable.

If you had the choice, what would it be?
Warks mum

Re: KES Or AGS?

Post by Warks mum »

I believe studies suggest that girls generally do better at all-girls schools while boys do better at mixed ones... though whether this is just academically or not I don't know.

Perhaps this is part of the reason why KES has introduced girls in the sixth form?!

http://www.itv.com/news/central/topic/shakespeare/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

Thanks for that Warks Mum - very interesting!
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

KES is smaller, single sex, scores required for entry are higher.

If any of those are important to you/him then they are important factors.

Of course the one you haven't mentioned is logistics. Look at the journey times for each and factor the additional time for one of them into your calculations. And consider what happens if the school closes, he needs to be collected, or he wants to stay behind for after school activities. Can he get back, how easily, and how easy is it for you to make alternative arrangements (pick him up) if necessary?
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

Thanks Okanagan :)

I like the idea of KES being smaller, but single gender I'm not sure of. He's currently at quite a small school (single form intake), and whilst I know that secondary school is a very different kettle of fish - its been a very good experience.

Logistically KES is further, but because we are not on any bus route, I will be taking him to school anyway. I am fortunate in that I am self employed, so generally (and there will always be the exception of course), collecting etc should be fine.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

AGS! (But I'm biaised ... :D )

JD
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

:lol:

oh really? :lol:
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

This might be a really stupid question, but here goes:

My top three for DS (if he were fortunate enough to score enough) would be AGS, KES and a very well thought of (and probably over subscribed) faith school that DS's school is a feeder for (he is of the required faith).

With all three schools likely to be over subscribed, if you were to put AGS, then the faith school, then KES - would that work. (we only get three choices on the CAF).

Sorry if this makes no sense :)
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Brum Mum wrote:My top three for DS (if he were fortunate enough to score enough) would be AGS, KES and a very well thought of (and probably over subscribed) faith school that DS's school is a feeder for (he is of the required faith).

With all three schools likely to be over subscribed, if you were to put AGS, then the faith school, then KES - would that work. (we only get three choices on the CAF).)
Historically the score required for a place at AGS has always been lower than that required for KES (especially now they have increased the number of places at AGS, but not at KES). So placing KES lower on the form than AGS really just wastes one of your choices. If you want AGS put that top, and leave KES off, using your last choice as insurance by putting a school you are confident you'd get a place at. Otherwise you risk that if you get a place at none of these three you will just be allocated a place at any school which happens to have spare places once everbody else's preferences have been catered for.
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

Thanks Okanagan - the voice of reason as always!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now