2013 Test Feedback

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
shakey

2013 Test Feedback

Post by shakey »

Hi
Anyone got any feedback for the 2013 test (for us dps preparing for 2014)- I don't think there will be many late sitters now, surely? :roll:
Brum Mum

Re: 2013 Test Feedback

Post by Brum Mum »

Hi Shakey,

Unfortunately DS remembered virtually nothing from the test. He said that he found the first paper easier than the second and that some elements of it were very hard.

He did say that quite a lot of the test had been covered by school work.

Don't think that this helps much!
jmc

Post by jmc »

I confess to being a previous lurker, just bitten the bullet and registered - my dd took the 11+ this year. She found the maths "hard", which we were expecting, and found the cloze tests and synonyms fairly straightforward. She did not have time to complete all the NVR, leaving 3 (but putting a line through a multiple choice answer for them randomly, as we had taught her!). She left one maths questions on each of the papers, running out of time again. It was more a case of what was not on the paper that surprised us - no fractions, no algebra, no input output machines...there were questions on areas, perimeters etc, and questions on a timetable, but she doesn't remember the rest. We did find the new NR book advertised on this site quite useful, but the Bond "how to do 11+ maths" more so. It was quite a relaxed atmosphere at the test centre. Children were in rows according to school, so my dd had familiar faces in front and to the side which I think helped. Parents were allowed in to settle their children but I found I had to move my child away from the desk until it was time for parents to leave, as other parents were stood over her desk, arms folded, worrying away out loud about the test! She did express surprise at how many children left the room to go to the toilet during the test...

She also sat the Ashlawn Aptitude test last weekend - parents whose children had taken the 11+ at other test centres in the area expressed surprise at how "formal" it was ...tables laid out in rows facing the stage...but it seemed fairly standard to me. This time the children were sat in order alphabetically. It was very well organised for both tests although I do think parents might have been shown out earlier for the 11+.
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Hi
It would be great if dp can maybe relay info regrading test content to maybe a mod like Okanagan?? who can then bank it safely from late sitters until March next year as they do over in brum.
ginx

Post by ginx »

jmc, I invigilated the 11+ at RHS on 7 Sept and the Ashlawn mfl aptitude test.

I can't say much about the 11+ but the maths was difficult, I didn't think the comprehension/vr were too hard, not many dc finished the nvr. My dd2 sat the exam last year so I was interested to see how difficult it was. I couldn't see much, but I could see not many dc finished the maths. I think maths had many questions in sentences, including a timetable as you say, and areas, and pretty much what I would have expected. Okanagan has more info, I'm sure she'll decide what can go on here and will soon comment. Regarding the English/clozes, if you happened to have an interest in the subjects, and had read broadly about them, you would do well. But it reminded me again just how important a wide vocab. is, and speed - in all areas - dc had to work quickly.

Dd2 last year said Bond maths and Bond nvr had been really helpful (but note other dp on here didn't agree about the Bond maths being helpful). However dd2 did well in maths so maybe she had a point? Who knows ...

Regarding dc going to the toilet at Ashlawn, it was amazing. So many wanted to go during the MFL test that we had a break and virtually every dc went. I think many went because it was cold in the hall, and they were nervous, and went because their friends were going. I've never seen so many kids go to the toilet at once! But they couldn't go during the test because it was all read out on cd in timed sections (like the 11+). I have been asked not to comment about the MFL test. All I'm going to say is it was rather strange, and dc either seemed to find it "very easy" or "very difficult" so maybe it does indeed test for aptitude for languages. Most dc were sitting it from out of area because they wanted to get into Ashlawn rather than alternative comps.

I thought dc carried on doing the 11+ throughout the school year - dc moving into Warks - and so not much can be said? All I can say is that if you have followed some of the advice on here, your dc will have been well prepared. Good luck, jmc. Just think. You may have met me. :)
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Thanks ginx :D
jmc

Post by jmc »

Sorry if I gave away too much information, I tried to keep it broad and waited until after the last "known" sitting but appreciate there will be other dc sitting due to moving into the area. Ginx, thank you so much for your reply - probably just as well I didn't know you were invigilating, I would have been watching all of you, trying to work out which one you were! Just breathing a sigh of relief now, as the Ashlawn Aptitude test results have arrived and dd seems to have done well, just hoping to hear good news from other parents at school later today - takes the pressure off a little for the 11+ waiting (although dd prefers RHS, I was very impressed by Ashlawn). Good luck for anyone else waiting to hear today (and I hope I'm not the only one to find the letter slightly confusing!). :?
guest201

Post by guest201 »

We have also received the aptitude test results but I find the information they give to be of little use. By giving your child's percentile without saying how many sat the exam they are really not telling you anything. I presume you can't really go by last years AQS as it was the first year they did the test, something tells me a lot more kids did the test this year. DD seems to have done well but don't really know!!!
ginx

Post by ginx »

Dd2 sat Ashlawn's MFL aptitude exam last year (and no, I wasn't invigilating!). She said she found it easy (this year it did seem dc either found the exam "very easy" or "very difficult").

Her score was 3 marks off the pass mark and those down to 5 marks below the pass mark were automatically on a waiting list. She passed the 11+ so it was irrelevant in the end.

Most dc sitting the exam at Ashlawn this year wanted to pass because they lived out of catchment.
jmc

Post by jmc »

Ginx, from your position at invigilator, are you allowed to say how many children, at least approximately, sat the test (I understand there were 2 sittings and I think there were 130 in sitting 1!).

Sorry, if this puts you in a difficult position, just say so. I just phoned Ashlawn and the lady said I would have to send an e-mail to the coordinator to request the information. Thought it might be quicker to ask "our ginx"! :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now