11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
jmc

Re: Warwickshire results arrived by post this morning

Post by jmc »

Hi Okanagan, just sent you a private message with my dd's stats. Best regards
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

naknat wrote:with the score of 216 and ranked 361 out of 1097 in SW is our DD ok for Alcester?
216 is above the adjusted score of 210 needed for Alcester last year, and the ranking of 361 is well above the 411th in South Warwickshire which got an offer for Alcester, so on both measures you would look to be ok there.
sherlock1

Post by sherlock1 »

I am very confused by this years scoring - different to previous years which I didn't realise and it's done my head in!!

I think we are missing out here but I don't know if anyone else can advise:
TSS of 211
298 out of 977 of all girls
207 out of 561 girls in south
643 out of 1963 all warwickshire children

or am I possibly in for a vvvvvvv long agonised wait!
We only want Alcester

Thanks
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

sherlock1 wrote:TSS of 211
298 out of 977 of all girls
207 out of 561 girls in south
643 out of 1963 all Warwickshire children
Last year Alcester made offers on March 1st to 300th All girls, 198th South Girls, 632nd all Warwickshire, with an (adjusted) score required of 210, or 204 for the waiting list.

So the messages are a bit mixed - on some measures you'd be ok, on others not, leaving you fairly borderline for this year. However there is nothing to lose by applying, it does not prejudice your chances with your next choice school.

Do you have an "all south" ranking too - if that's above 411 it's another positive indicator.

Also based on evidence from the last few years there are usually 20 or so places offered from the waiting list for Alcester, so there's still a fair chance that rankings/scores a bit lower than those outlined above will eventually get places.
sherlock1

Post by sherlock1 »

Hmmm 428 on all southern children so not so good perhaps?

Many thanks for your feedback - think I will assume the worst and good news is she is very keen on the comprehensive alternative
malvern

Post by malvern »

Hi

My DS is ranked 154 out of Southern Boys - does that rule him out of KES, I think it does but just seeing if there are any straws to clutch at.

Malvern
JMW

Post by JMW »

We have same problem daughter has 212 score so maybe in on score, but ranking is 201 for south girls so below the 198 for Alcester based on the revised tables Okanagan has done. If anyone is doing the crunching of numbers I rang admissions this morning and they said last year 56 out of the 120 were boys last year at Alcester and 22 girls refused the offer from Shottery and 33 children refused a place at Alcester. We are so border line - anyone got any views on whether we stand a chance??
JMW

Post by JMW »

ps We are 417 on all southern ranking
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

JMW wrote:We have same problem daughter has 212 score so maybe in on score, but ranking is 201 for south girls so below the 198 for Alcester based on the revised tables Okanagan has done. If anyone is doing the crunching of numbers I rang admissions this morning and they said last year 56 out of the 120 were boys last year at Alcester and 22 girls refused the offer from Shottery and 33 children refused a place at Alcester. We are so border line - anyone got any views on whether we stand a chance??
That's interesting - we thought that with the extra places/lower score required for SGS compared to KES they would end up with more boys than girls at Alcester.

Some of the refusals may be double counting - people who got Alcester as a 2nd choice switching to SGS/KES when places there became available for example, meaning that one place freed up would be included in both figure, so we can't assume that quite that many extra people got places after March 1st, and some of the vacated places may have gone to out of area candidates, but it does suggest that places were offered further down the rankings. Perhaps admissions would tell you what was the lowest ranking to eventually get a place offered at Alcester? That might make the situation a bit clearer.
JMW

Post by JMW »

sorry it was 64 boys at Alcester out of 120 not 56 - mind a bit swamped with numbers. I can ring up and ask but maybe someone else can do it as we are now away for 10 days!!