Warwickshire results arrived by post this morning

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sherlock1

Re: Warwickshire results arrived by post this morning

Post by sherlock1 »

Can you just confirm if these stats are for offers made in thefirst instance, ie. not taking into account those who got in off the waiting lists? If so do we know what the lowest offer (translated to this years scoring) wasfor each school for those kids who got in off a waiting list?

We have 211 and want Alcester - most of our rankings (girl) put us 10 or so below getting in but I don't know if those stats take account of waiting lists

tia
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

ginx wrote:Well done to everyone, dc and dp's - sounds like almost everyone had good news! Well done, everyone. Now, how many of you can manage to leave the forum ....
Welcome to the Hotel California. You can check out any time you like, but.......
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

sherlock1 wrote:Can you just confirm if these stats are for offers made in thefirst instance, ie. not taking into account those who got in off the waiting lists?
They were figures as at the March 1st allocations day.
sherlock1 wrote:If so do we know what the lowest offer (translated to this years scoring) was for each school for those kids who got in off a waiting list?
No. That's the other figure it would be useful to know - we'll see what we can do!
sherlock1 wrote:We have 211 and want Alcester - most of our rankings (girl) put us 10 or so below getting in but I don't know if those stats take account of waiting lists
We do know that 33 people turned down Alcester places last year (possibly because they had KES/SGS/one of the Birmingham grammars as first preference and subsequently got offered places from the waiting list there, or perhaps they went down the independent route). 211 probably stands a good chance for Alcester, but it could be a nailbiting few months if you have to hope for waiting list movement.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

naknat wrote:I know the scores are standardised, but do we know the maximum standard score achieved in each of the 3 topics?
Maximum scores achievable this year were
non verbal 157 (weighted to only count at 50%)
numeracy 154 (weighted to only count at 50%)
verbal 152

So maximum standardised score would be 307

We don't know a maximum actually achieved - except that 30 children scored higher than 252, which I think is the highest we've seen reported so far (ranked 31st overall).
Implication is that the average score was 3.8 standard deviations away from the maximum for non verbal, 3.6sd for numeracy, and 3.47 for verbal. But as we know neither the average nor the maximum that doesn't help us much!

What you can do is to take your standardised score for each area, subtract 100, and divide the result by 15. Then put the answer into this page: http://www.measuringusability.com/pcalcz.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; with the one-sided option and it will tell you what approximately what proportion of candidates you'd expect to have scored lower / higher.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

FelixJ wrote:A quick query, Re Eastern Grammar Circle - Does this include both the inner and outer areas eg area 1 and area for ranking?
Yes. They don't seem to differentiate on the letter, which makes it a bit more difficult to use the rankings for any decision making. With the reversal in priorites this year which will favour the outer area candidates more than the previous interpretation did, there probably isn't going to be a lot of difference in the qualifying score for each area any more.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Sosalou wrote:We are from outer east area and I just cannot work out what my DD's chances are. Her ranking makes me think she is ok for RHS but her score makes me think she is borderline because I don't understand how the priority areas works. Her score was 219, which compared to previous years seems to make her borderline.
Last year's outer area score for RHS was (the equivalent this year of) 214, so 219 should be comfortably ok.

The priority area situation is complicated - essentially they've switched the order this year , which should bring the scores down for those in the outer area, and raise them for those in the inner area.

It used to be 50% of places to the combined inner/outer area, then 50% to the inner area, where the top scoring candidates would already have had places from the combined allocation. Now it is 50% to the inner area, and 50% to the combined area - which ought to mean more places for outer area people, and less for the inner circle.

In practice it looks like they set the required score last year at a level where not enough inner area people got it, and more places were offered to the outer area anyway, bringing the scores almost into line, so it may not actually change much this year.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

JamesDean wrote:I'm beginning to have a little more faith that if your child has good (above average) levels at school, then the 11+ will find them out without the need for years of prep / tutoring.
I think that's possibly true for those who are strongest in literacy (and CEM does seem a truer test of proficiency with language than the old style VR tests were). Maybe less so - and now going further that way - for the strong mathematicians. Having seen a comp this year with a whole Y7 top maths set of children with level 6 SATs - and that was before they reduced the weighting for the maths/NVR scores - I'm not altogether convinced at the moment that the current selection process is picking out the children with potential in that direction to the same extent.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Brum Mum wrote:
JamesDean wrote:
Brum Mum wrote:Sorry to ask, but with a Score of 220 and rank 158 out of boys south - Is it ok to hope we'd be ok for AGS but would be waiting list for KES..??

I've had a good read of the posts but I'm struggling to get my head around it! :roll:
For what its worth, Brum Mum and I'm not Okanagan (!), I think he'd be ok for Alcester. What's his ranking for all S Warks children? Take out those for KES and Shottery and you should have a ranking for AGS. Sorry, that's not perfect - its so confusing - and I have no clue about waiting lists!

At the end of the day 220 is a brilliant score, its just unfair that with KES's low PAN S Warks boys are disadvantaged with grammar places :(
He was 296 out of 1097 all south.
The equivalent of 220 would have comfortably qualified for Alcester last year (about 210 would probably have been needed) - and they offered down to rank 411th of South children, so you're well inside on that measure too. I'd be fairly confident of a place with that score/ranking.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

I think that's everyone's questions answered now - apologies to anyone I've missed.
Sosalou

Post by Sosalou »

Thank you for that thorough response - it's very helpful. Time to restart the whole process with DD2 now!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now