Does selecting Grammar School impact your high school choice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sidneyboy

Does selecting Grammar School impact your high school choice

Post by sidneyboy »

It is clear in the posts and the school admissions policy, that selecting the Grammar Schools above your High School choices (if you think your child has potential to get in GS) will NOT predujice your choice of High School if your child doesn't make it into GS. Worryingly, we have heard from 3 local high schools (1 during open evening) that in order to have the best chance of getting into their school, that their school must be put down as a first choice, with the inference that the choice should be made above a GS choice...surely that is hidden agenda and against the ethos of having a transparent admissions system (felt quite intimidating too)!
Okanagan

Re: Does selecting Grammar School impact your high school ch

Post by Okanagan »

It's a myth that a lot of people - including some headteachers - like to peddle. But it absolutely isn't true. The schools get to know who has listed them as a preference - any preference - in order to create a ranking list according to their admissions policies. But they don't even get to know whereabouts you placed them on the form. If you get your first preference you get struck off the lists of all the lower ones. If you don't you have exactly the same chance for your next choice as if you'd placed it first.

Golden rule #1 is to put them down in your true order of preference - so grammars above comps if that is what your preference is.

Golden rule #2 is to make sure you put down somewhere on your form (last if needs be) a school you are sure you'll get a place at (usually your local school). Fail to do this and you risk ending up with no place at all, and just being allocated one at wherever is nearest and has spaces left after everyone else's preferences have been met. Every year there are some people who fall for the trap of thinking that if they only list one or two schools they must be given one of them - this is a fallacy!
sidneyboy

Post by sidneyboy »

That's great reassurance and info - many thanks and yes, that all makes sense.
JMW

Post by JMW »

but make sure you can actually get them to your preferred school. I discounted Rugby High as there is no way I could get my DD there. Was told by admissions that if I put down RH and was offered a place which I then had to reject through lack of transport then I would be giving up any high school place and would go the the bottom of the pile and would have to take whatever was available( assuming my local comp was oversubscribed) so be careful...
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Good advice - I am always amazed at how many emails we suddenly get via the GS my oldest son is at, from parents who have accepted a place but haven't checked out the LEA transport policy in advance and suddenly realise that the LEA will not provide a bus for them (for example because they are out of area). Frantic car share arrangements/minibus proposals etc fly back and forwards and the poor child realises they have to get up before they have gone to bed in order to get there on time!