KES changing its sixth form admissions procedure

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Warks mum

KES changing its sixth form admissions procedure

Post by Warks mum »

It's probably a long way off for most people on this forum, but KES in Stratford is consulting on changes to its admissions process for the sixth form.

Apparently applications have increased five-fold in the last few years and they need an 'fairer' (the Head's word) way of choosing between applicants. The result is that prospective students are likely to have "to sit tests in each of the four subjects they wish to study in the Sixth Form. These tests will take place on Saturday 7th February 2015."

If you have any opinions on this, one way or the other, the consultation is open until 7 February.

http://www.kes.net/wp-content/uploads/2 ... tation.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kenyancowgirl

Re: KES changing its sixth form admissions procedure

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I read this as the entrance test in the 4 subjects is JUST for external candidates, with internal candidates being given priority places (as per the system currently) assuming they make the minimum GCSE point and grade requirement.

It will be interesting to see whether, with the change in GCSEs for the current Y8s, there will be a resulting change (in a downward direction) to the required GCSE grades/points as the Head has also commented that he suspects the GCSEs will be significantly harder.
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

Sounds as if we were at the same meeting kenyancowgirl!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Lol! No - you're a good mummy! I have an evening there tonight and couldn't face two nights in one week!!
serendippyty

Post by serendippyty »

That doesn't surprise me. My daughter has applied this year and I was overwhelmed at how busy it was at the open evening!
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

How many do they take for 6th form?
Will it end up like Alcester, and have as many pupils in the 6th form as there are in yrs 7-11 all together???

JD
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Nope - they don't have the space to do what Alcester has done! This year they intend to take in 112 (but have a maximum capacity of 140) and no more than 25% will be girls. They don't want to take in maximum capacity but numbers will build slowly. I suspect it will end up being 2/3rds 7-11 and 1/3rd 6th form. In Alcester it is 50-50.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Nope - never - they don't have the space!
No, I did think space would be a limiting factor :)
Just wondered how many more than 81 it was to compare the year group sizes. Not too many then. And I haven't read the consultation but I'm assuming they aren't planning an increase the numbers, just change the admissions process?

JD
serendippyty

Post by serendippyty »

Interesting you say no more than 25% will be girls, at the open evening i was told that places would be offered on suitability and not gender.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

serendippyty wrote:Interesting you say no more than 25% will be girls, at the open evening i was told that places would be offered on suitability and not gender.
Hmmmmm, I think limiting to 25% puts them on dodgy ground. Single-sex schools can lawfully discriminate (under the Equality Act 2010) by only admitting one gender, but if you're admitting some (any) girls then surely you have to give them the same opportunity to gain a place as the boys? IMO by limiting the places available to girls the school opens itself up to charges of discrimination ...

JD
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now