KES changing its sixth form admissions procedure

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kenyancowgirl

Re: KES changing its sixth form admissions procedure

Post by kenyancowgirl »

This is from the information for 6th form entry for September 2014:

Entry Criteria:
The intended number of students to be admitted into Year 12 is 112 but it may be possible to accommodate more students (up to a maximum of 140) depending upon students’ option choices. Up to 25% of our Year 12 intake will be female.
Last edited by kenyancowgirl on Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

The Head explained the system at a meeting I went to this week. I understood it to mean the idea is for the selection of external applicants to be entirely on ability in future.

The reason for the 25% figure is that the majority of students will be boys from the lower school, therefore fewer than 50% of the places will be for external students. Of that, around half are expected to be girls. Hence half of a half is a quarter, 25%. Does that make sense?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Could well be - I did have a conversation with another parent this week following that meeting and she said that although it is very definitely single sex pre 16, it is not co-ed post 16. It is a boys school that admits girls - not sure if that makes a distinction! Certainly internal candidates (boys) have priority and you are right that would account for 50% at least... However, having spoken to parents with older boys, certainly they are all under the impression that girls will always be in the minority which would make sense with "up to 25% will be girls". Maybe I got it wrong - genuinely I was told that it would be limited - possibly they meant just for the first year?
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Yes, KES is a single-sex school that admits the opposite gender to specific year groups - this is all perfectively legit and above board :) And yes, on average around 50% of those admitted to the remaining places will be girls. Interestingly, Mr Blakie at AGS says their yr 7 intake is always around 50/50 year-on-year, which is of course based on 11+ scores. That makes more sense than it being a set 28 places (based on 112 intake).

JD