Ashlawn selective less places than Lawrence Sheriff

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
lordloss

Ashlawn selective less places than Lawrence Sheriff

Post by lordloss »

Feeling slightly panicky :( based on wishes of DS we didn't apply for Lawrence Sheriff and put Ashlawn selective top of list (score: 208 ranked:113 out of east warks boys). Bit concerned if, he'll meet the grade for Ashlawn, given that there are so few places. 15 for boys..I think? Any words of wisdom, knowledge or encouragement :roll:

We are in inner and outer circle east warks - but not in catchment area for Ashlawn, so only route in was through 11 plus
Fatnorville

Re: Ashlawn selective less places than Lawrence Sheriff

Post by Fatnorville »

I would advise that you review the tables in this thread:-

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 37&t=30269" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ashlawn may have fewer places but I think it is also less popular than LSS, so the AQS tends to be lower. In addition last year Ashalwn offered down to the 136th boy in East Warks, but LSS offered down to the 106th, which supports this view.

Personally I wanted my DS to put Ashlawn as his first preference as I felt it was a quality school which was not obsessed with league tables and GCSE results which I feel LSS is, but he wanted LSS....(To be honest I just think he is a bit scared of girls.....)

On edit: I should have said something more encouraging. Based on previous years, based on the data in the tables referenced above, he should be fine. But as is the case for me and so many others, until we have that bit of paper in our hands saying which school we have been allocated, there is always that crumb of doubt...
Janeymorris

Post by Janeymorris »

Hi, Ashlawn hopeful
I think you have a really good chance. My son was in inner circle 2 years ago and got the equivelent of 202 on this years marking, had it as first choice and got in. I was really worried about him not getting a place because of all the LSS boys who didnt get a LSS place putting it as 2nd and getting the places, but admissions reassured me that the way the system works is they look at first preference and then the criteria for it, so if you've put it first and get qualifying score you're in, but put it 2nd and places all filled you go on waiting list.
I'll keep my fimgers crossed, Ashlawn is an amazing school and my sons loved it. Just looked at the site again this week :D end to see if AQS was up ... I have Number 2 to consider next year.
FelixJ

Post by FelixJ »

Oh I didn't realise that, so if you put lss as first choice and ashlawn as second, even of you hit the aqs for ashlawn you wouldn't get in but go onto the waiting list?t. Got example if you scored say in the 220 s and didn't get lss, you wouldn't get ashlawn but would go on the waiting list say, hyperthetically speaking, if say aqs for ashlawn was 210, and it was second choice and dc scored say 224, they would be on waiting list....
lordloss

Post by lordloss »

thank you...for your very helpful replies :D I suppose it's just a waiting game now! Shame today isn't offer day as I thought it was. Just out of interest, does anyone know what roughly the equivalent score of 208 is in last years scores?

Good look to you all
FelixJ

Post by FelixJ »

Hi 208 would be around 310/311 for last year I think
ginx

Post by ginx »

Last year 310 was AQS for LSS, I think.
FelixJ

Post by FelixJ »

Hi yes aqs for lss was 310 last year and 302 I think for ashlawn
Fatnorville

Post by Fatnorville »

FelixJ wrote:Oh I didn't realise that, so if you put lss as first choice and ashlawn as second, even of you hit the aqs for ashlawn you wouldn't get in but go onto the waiting list?t. Got example if you scored say in the 220 s and didn't get lss, you wouldn't get ashlawn but would go on the waiting list say, hyperthetically speaking, if say aqs for ashlawn was 210, and it was second choice and dc scored say 224, they would be on waiting list....
I never thought that was the case, and I have not seen that documented anywhere. My understanding is that if you are not offered your first choice your second choice becomes your first and you are then judged against the entry criteria for that school which includes the AQS if it is selective.

However there is a case of someone elsewhere on the Warks forum to whom this seems to have happened. I thought it was an admin cock up, but I am starting to question whether we have discovered another hitherto undiscovered feature of the allocations process...
FelixJ

Post by FelixJ »

Hi fatnorthville,Herman one of the moderators on here confirmed that it wouldn't be the case and you would go to your second choice as though it was your first choice, but the post did made me think
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now