Evesham to Alcester Grammar travel options

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Yamin151

Re: Evesham to Alcester Grammar travel options

Post by Yamin151 »

m12357 wrote:I agree 8:50 does seem too late. From the bus timetable I assumed the service was run with the intention of getting the children to Alcester Grammar on time for school. The link below shows the timetable and the three buses are designated SchA, SchB, SchC.

http://www.diamondbuses.com/services/Wo ... m_293.html

However, looking again I think I made a mistake and the school bus designation is intended for ST BENEDICTS RC SCH arriving at 8:46, which is the correct time to arrive at school. The 8:50 arrival at Alcester Police Station is coincidental, the grammar school is two stops later (approx 8:55) so the 247 Bus from Evesham is now ruled out entirely. The Grammar School stop is coded wardgtga if that helps anyone else looking.

I understand we are not owed anything from Warwickshire County Council when attending from out of county but there must be some other public cross county transport links.

I will keep searching for a suitable bus.

Does the Grammar School suffer from a high level of traffic congestion for dropping off and picking up and what amount needs to be added to the car journey time to navigate from the A435/A46 ?
The grammar school is about 200 yds off the A46/A435 roundabout to the north of Alcester. My understanding is that, as it IS very congested, you are not allowed to pull up to drop off, but there is a pub car park you can pull into to drop off, or various residential roads for just stopping and driving off again immediately, all within 100 yds. I know someone who lives in Bidford On Avon who is literally on the border of Worcestershire/Warwickshire. Could you go there, be within commuter to Worcester, within the worcs school system and Prince Henrys, and on the bus route for Alcester Grammar?
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

m12357 wrote:Does the Grammar School suffer from a high level of traffic congestion for dropping off and picking up and what amount needs to be added to the car journey time to navigate from the A435/A46 ?
:lol: Just a bit! My parents know better than to leave or return to their house anytime around drop off or pick up!

JD
m12357

Post by m12357 »

I know someone who lives in Bidford On Avon who is literally on the border of Worcestershire/Warwickshire. Could you go there, be within commuter to Worcester, within the worcs school system and Prince Henrys, and on the bus route for Alcester Grammar?
Thank you and that still meets the brief. Yes, that's exactly my next move.

(Also, the 247 Bus doesn't arrive until 8:58 at the grammar stop and an informal enquiry at the school confirmed this is not acceptable)

I am waiting for an email from the helpful man at Warwickshire School transport with the school bus timetables.

I need to apply under the vacant seat scheme and I would need to do this each year, with priority rightly given each year to Warwickshire residents. So no future guarantee of places.

The cost is approx £660 p.a.

I could drive a few miles to drop off and collect at the bus stop at Bidford-on-Avon to save time and avoid the chaos. We could move towards my child making it all the way home by picking up the Number 28 from Bidford to Evesham or we may decide to just drive but we have our other child to drop off/collect and two jobs.

Solution is close, then we all need to see if it is acceptable to the family. Then we need to sell house, get all the way to exchange, move and pass the 11plus, so a piece of cake really!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

m12357 wrote:
I know someone who lives in Bidford On Avon who is literally on the border of Worcestershire/Warwickshire. Could you go there, be within commuter to Worcester, within the worcs school system and Prince Henrys, and on the bus route for Alcester Grammar?
Thank you and that still meets the brief. Yes, that's exactly my next move.

(Also, the 247 Bus doesn't arrive until 8:58 at the grammar stop and an informal enquiry at the school confirmed this is not acceptable)

I am waiting for an email from the helpful man at Warwickshire School transport with the school bus timetables.

I need to apply under the vacant seat scheme and I would need to do this each year, with priority rightly given each year to Warwickshire residents. So no future guarantee of places.

The cost is approx £660 p.a.

I could drive a few miles to drop off and collect at the bus stop at Bidford-on-Avon to save time and avoid the chaos. We could move towards my child making it all the way home by picking up the Number 28 from Bidford to Evesham or we may decide to just drive but we have our other child to drop off/collect and two jobs.

Solution is close, then we all need to see if it is acceptable to the family. Then we need to sell house, get all the way to exchange, move and pass the 11plus, so a piece of cake really!
Sounds like a plan! Where do you live currently then?

One of my DS will catch school bus to KES, which we and he chose even though AGS 400 yds away! Other DS has a place at AGS. Because AGS just down the road, even though we are in warks, we will still have to pay the £660 too, as I assume they will say it is not the nearest suitable school! I am told the route currently has about 30 students on it. If we count that as average each year then there should be plenty of seats, so hopefully this will be the case for you from Bidford too.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Yamin151 wrote:One of my DS will catch school bus to KES, which we and he chose even though AGS 400 yds away! Other DS has a place at AGS. Because AGS just down the road, even though we are in warks, we will still have to pay the £660 too, as I assume they will say it is not the nearest suitable school! I am told the route currently has about 30 students on it. If we count that as average each year then there should be plenty of seats, so hopefully this will be the case for you from Bidford too.
Surely its your nearest school, Yamin! There aren't any in between :?
Is it that you're too close to qualify for the free transport and they'll say that your DS should walk / bike to school? :shock: My friend used to walk from where you are, but that was before the bypass was built and it was just one long, straight pavement ...

JD
Last edited by JamesDean on Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

JamesDean wrote:
Yamin151 wrote:One of my DS will catch school bus to KES, which we and he chose even though AGS 400 yds away! Other DS has a place at AGS. Because AGS just down the road, even though we are in warks, we will still have to pay the £660 too, as I assume they will say it is not the nearest suitable school! I am told the route currently has about 30 students on it. If we count that as average each year then there should be plenty of seats, so hopefully this will be the case for you from Bidford too.
Surely its your nearest school, Yamin! There aren't any in between :?
Is it that you're too close to qualify for the free transport and they'll say that your DS should walk / bike to school? :shock:

JD
No, sorry, yes DS Thing 1 can walk to AGS. No, its Thing 2, who is off to KES and I assume they won't pay for him to catch the bus from here to KES as he could have gone to AGS.
malvern

Post by malvern »

Hi

Only just seen this thread but hope I have some useful info -

Cresswells do a bus from Greenhill (Evesham) to AGS, it is run by Worcs CC and is really for St Benedicts (as it is the secondry school which the Evesham catholic school feeds into) but they stop at AGS if needed. You will need to apply to Wocrs CC for the vacant seats scheme but should solve your problem.

Hope this helps.

Malvern
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now