Coventry School Query

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Mumoftwochildren

Coventry School Query

Post by Mumoftwochildren »

My daughter has not got into our first choice school which is Blue Coat Academy. We are in the first 10 on the waiting list.

Acceptances have to be back by 17th March.

Do many children from Coventry go on to Grammar schools outside the city? Also when would private schools need to be accepted?

I wondered what our chance are of getting in. LEA not being particularly helpful.

I realise this is an 11+ forum but would be grateful of any advice.
chebiyebu

Re: Coventry School Query

Post by chebiyebu »

Hi like you I was in the same dilemma or even worse,my priest refused to sign for me during application.I started making research on grammar school and found out that buses goes from coventry,hence my daughter took a late 11+ test ,fingers crossed we will know in the second allocation process.go on the warwickshire website and find out more.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Mumoftwochildren wrote:My daughter has not got into our first choice school which is Blue Coat Academy. We are in the first 10 on the waiting list.

Acceptances have to be back by 17th March.

Do many children from Coventry go on to Grammar schools outside the city? Also when would private schools need to be accepted?

I wondered what our chance are of getting in. LEA not being particularly helpful.

I realise this is an 11+ forum but would be grateful of any advice.
There will be some movement on waiting lists this month - most indies will want commitment from people soon. Re Grammar Schools outside the city - yes some will go there but that will not make much difference to the waiting lists.

Do you know why you didn't get a place? Have you considered appealing?
Mumoftwochildren

We have our form signed for full church attendance. We are just further out on distance than those that got a place. Will contact the school after 17th to see if there is any movement.

Thanks
gideon

Coventry School Query

Post by gideon »

Mumoftwochildren wrote:Do many children from Coventry go on to Grammar schools outside the city? Also when would private schools need to be accepted?

There are a handful of Coventry girls who go to RHS and Shottery. There are a few boys who go to LSS and K.E.S. It seems more boys go to LSS than K.E.S. from Coventry as the train journey to Rugby is easy. You see many boys at the station in the morning. RHS is more difficult as it requires a bus from Rugby.

The journey to Stratford is easy by car but would involve 1 hour return journey twice a day. There is a school bus from Coventry but it takes a long time and means getting up early and may be full as Coventry residents are last priority. A car share may work.

Change preferences and put your daughter on the waiting list. Coventry admissions is notoriously bad. They only have 3 preferences, whereas Warks allow 7. This means Coventry residents often put down 2 grammar schools and one Coventry school. Warks residents are luckier and some put down 3 or more grammar schools.

K.E.S. and Shottery are in priority area for some parts of Coventry. But with waiting lists address is almost irrelevant. You can try RHS or Shottery (Stratford Girls Grammar). It all depends on the score.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

I am assuming from this, and from your other posting about your preferences that your daughter hasn't actually taken the Warwickshire 11+ exam. She couldn't be added to the waiting list without an exam score, so your first step would be to contact Warwickshire admissions and ask if it is still possible to take the test at this very late stage. If and when offered places are rejected they will offer to the top of the waiting list at that point, so you would need to be asking this question sooner rather than later.
Mumoftwochildren

Sorry I haven't made myself clear. I wondered if any children might take up a grammar/independent place freeing up a space for my daughter at Blue Coat.

Thanks for advice.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

It's always possible. We do know of one with a Blue Coat place who is hoping for a waiting list place at Lawrence Sheriff.

Try calling again for an update on where you are on the waiting list as it may have changed already as people who had already made a decision to go independent and only applied as an insurance policy may have already rejected places.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Mumoftwochildren wrote:Sorry I haven't made myself clear. I wondered if any children might take up a grammar/independent place freeing up a space for my daughter at Blue Coat.

Thanks for advice.
re indie - yes there may be some movement but the grammar schools will be on the same application form as BC so children will not have been offered a grammar school place AND a Bluecoat place ... as Okanagan says it is children with BC places waiting for GS places to be freed up that you need to be seeing.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Okanagan wrote:We do know of one with a Blue Coat place who is hoping for a waiting list place at Lawrence Sheriff.

Try calling again for an update on where you are on the waiting list as it may have changed already as people who had already made a decision to go independent and only applied as an insurance policy may have already rejected places.
We now know of one child who was holding a place at Blue Coat but has been offered from the waiting list (and will be accepting) Lawrence Sherriff - so that's one place of movement at least.