Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:07 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:35 am 

Hi All,

I am relocating to the West Mids in the summer and need to find schools for my kids. I am keen to try and get them into the Stratford Grammar schools, which I have visited and my kids (Year 7 - boys, Year 9 - girls). As you might expect the schools are full. Any advice on how to launch successful appeals in such circumstances?

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:42 pm 

I'm no expert but think you will need to start with having the evidence they are of the required academic ability, are they currently in selective schools? I do know a couple of people who have tried for entry at later dates but none have been successful so I would post on the appeals forum on here for advice.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:48 pm 

serendippyty wrote:
I'm no expert but think you will need to start with having the evidence they are of the required academic ability, are they currently in selective schools? I do know a couple of people who have tried for entry at later dates but none have been successful so I would post on the appeals forum on here for advice.

I think they may also need to pass an entrance exam - details on the WCC website at http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/elevenplus

JD

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:01 pm 

Also remember that there is Alcester Grammar School which takes boys and girls - transport can be an issue to all/some of these schools as well, depending on where you are living.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:20 pm 

We relocated when my daughter was in year 8 @ sggs. We had to go to appeal even though she had taken and passed the WarK test. All about PAN once capability proven.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:05 pm 

PAN = pupil admission numbers ie availability of spaces?

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:26 pm 

stebel5 wrote:
PAN = pupil admission numbers ie availability of spaces?

Yes. Once you've 'proved' academic suitability, if there are no spare places you'll have to prove that by admitting over PAN (ie your DD) that the school won't be compromised in admitting her. I believe its called an over-subscription appeal (but could be wrong!).

There's lots of info on the appeals section of this site - you could try posting there where there are far more knowledgeable people than me! viewforum.php?f=35

HTH,

JD

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:08 pm 

...and in KES, I am fairly sure that they are already at least 3 over PAN in the current year 7, which I believe is the maximum they can physically fit... :?