Percentage equivalents for automatic qualifying score

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hmc0791

Percentage equivalents for automatic qualifying score

Post by hmc0791 »

I have two questions which are related to the AQS.

My DS is considering KES (Stratford), Alcester Grammar and Stratford School.

Firstly, I am interested in finding out if there is a percentage equivalent for automatic qualifying scores and lowest score offered at KES (Stratford) and Alcester Grammar.

Secondly, I went through the eleven plus system only two years ago but have noticed that AQS and lowest score offered for 2014 do not appear to relate to 2013 entry when my DS sat the test.

Would be keen to learn if anyone has any answers or suggestions.

Thank you.
JamesDean

Re: Percentage equivalents for automatic qualifying score

Post by JamesDean »

Hi HMC

If you look at the 'historical data' thread at the top of the Warks forum you should be able to find the answer to your first question - link is here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 37&t=30269" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for your second question, they changed the weighting of the 3 sections last year (without telling anyone!) to 50% verbal and 50% maths and NVR combined, meaning the overall score was not directly comparable to previous years - again more info on the above thread.

What will they do this year? Anyone's guess really ...

JD
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

I would be tempted to aim for a ranking rather than a percentage score. Ultimately it is the rankings that matter, as there are limited places. If you look at the info in the link you will see that for this years entry, and for last years entry, the rankings that achieved all ace are roughly the same. Score too actually, when you adjust it for the new scoring system. The score represents a typical cohort, but in theory you could score way above that, but if so did a lot of other children, then your child might be ranked much lower than a child on the same score last year.
So, in short, you can only tell when the results come in, but I'd be examining rank first the score. Obviously for KES that's the all boys score, AGS the all childrens score.
Does that make sense?
Good luck!
gideon

Post by gideon »

JamesDean wrote: As for your second question, they changed the weighting of the 3 sections last year (without telling anyone!) to 50% verbal and 50% maths and NVR combined,
JD
Which has also been told to the Schools Adjudicator. It may be a breach of their Admissions Policy. It wasn't consulted upon and discriminates against those whose first language is not English - potential code violation!
Why has WCC asked this year if English is an additonal language?
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Why did they need to tell us all the weightings? You work for the eleven plus you do everything. Surely an (apparently, lol!) tutor proof test implies that you work on all areas and maybe concentrate on your weakest ones. And if they are to make it a better test of ability, surely a regularly changing mix of sections is one way to get around the heavy tutoring conferring an unfair advantage.
As for language, I'm not convinced it is fair either to put a lower weighting on those sections relying on English for those taking an English test, even if it is not their first language. In constantly putting a lower weighting on the verbal because to this, you are putting children who are stronger at verbal than maths at a disadvantage surely? And that is not 'fair' either.
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

Hi hmc,

By Stratford School - do you mean Stratford Grammar Girls School (SGGS) or Stratford High School? SGGS is an all girls school, so DS wouldn't be able to go, although I believe the High is mixed.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Brum Mum wrote:Hi hmc,

By Stratford School - do you mean Stratford Grammar Girls School (SGGS) or Stratford High School? SGGS is an all girls school, so DS wouldn't be able to go, although I believe the High is mixed.
Yes, and of course stratford high is non selective
hmc0791

Post by hmc0791 »

Hi Brum Mum
Sorry I didn't make myself clear, I meant Stratford High School. An option if my DS doesn't get through the test or indeed if he ends up preferring that school.
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

hmc0791 wrote:Hi Brum Mum
Sorry I didn't make myself clear, I meant Stratford High School. An option if my DS doesn't get through the test or indeed if he ends up preferring that school.
No problem.

I was wondering about the percentages required myself this time last year - but it all became a bit pointless when the weighting of the scores was changed.

The first few posts at the top of this forum contain a wealth of information about previous qualifying scores and ranking. The ranking was really the best indicator this year, with nothing to do a side by side comparison with of previous scores.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now