So how are they all getting on?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sillygoose

Re: So how are they all getting on?

Post by Sillygoose »

Mini YR7 'not a parents evening' at AGS next Thursday.. letter says:

"refreshments will be available at a modest cost" Quick enough to ask for money but can't even stump up a cup of tea for parents coming in as the schools guests. Phhmmphh!
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

There does seem to have been a never ending list of demands (requests?) for payment from AGS - rather more than I had expected if I am honest.

DS is having a great time and despite my concerns, has made loads of new friends. I wasn't however happy to receive home a soaking wet rugby kit that he had left in school wet and muddy for a whole week! I could smell it before I even opened the bag :(
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

Sillygoose wrote:Mini YR7 'not a parents evening' at AGS next Thursday.. letter says:

"refreshments will be available at a modest cost" Quick enough to ask for money but can't even stump up a cup of tea for parents coming in as the schools guests. Phhmmphh!
I guess if they are emailing asking for money for projects, its not really surprising that they want us to pay for refreshments.
Sillygoose

Post by Sillygoose »

Brum Mum wrote:
Sillygoose wrote:Mini YR7 'not a parents evening' at AGS next Thursday.. letter says:

I guess if they are emailing asking for money for projects, its not really surprising that they want us to pay for refreshments.
Yes, to be honest I meant it a bit 'tongue in cheek'.

Looking forward to Thursday and getting some feedback from school, it feels strangely isolated compared to the close network of junior school life as a parent its taking some getting used to!
Salapanda

Post by Salapanda »

While I wholeheartedly agree with the above comments on the never ending stream of financial requests we are getting from AGS, in its defence I have to say that we are paying exactly the same amount for County Music brass lessons as we did at his junior school. Whereas when I looked round KES and queried why their music lessons from the same provider were £3 per LESSON more expensive, the music teacher looked me square in the eye and said that they liked to add a little extra on for the benefit of the school. :shock:

Talk about a stealth tax!!!

And you don't have to submit to all the requests. We already had a SD mouthguard in the cupboard and my ds is using MY scientific calculator from ahem many moons ago which amazingly enough is still working perfectly, even if the numbers are a little worn. His teacher confirmed it is perfectly adequate.

It is the annual fee for the lockers that has got my goat. £45!!!!! Because the school have hired them in from an external company. Still trying to decide whether to allocate money from elsewhere for one as ds is coping extremely badly with lugging everything round.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Salapanda wrote:
It is the annual fee for the lockers that has got my goat. £45!!!!! Because the school have hired them in from an external company. Still trying to decide whether to allocate money from elsewhere for one as ds is coping extremely badly with lugging everything round.

Don't bother salapanda, Thing 2 lugs around all his stuff, plus sports bag and violin, and you know the size of him, but won't use his locker for anything. Fortunately we don't get charged for that so he has one, I'm going to make him put something in it, a solitary emergency cereal bar maybe, lol!
ChilledDad

Post by ChilledDad »

Yamin151 wrote:
Fortunately we don't get charged for that so he has one, I'm going to make him put something in it, a solitary emergency cereal bar maybe, lol!
Strongly suggest they use the locker for PE kit. DS lost his several times last year as a result of just leaving it around. Mind you, we sometimes get an email that another DS has lost his bag "with a pirate ship on it". Who on earth would send their 12 year old DS in with a bag fit for a 5 year old???? I recommend not doing that either as all the boys think it weird and does not endear the DS to others.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

DS 'lost' his PE kit by leaving in it the racks over-night!
Luckily the nice ladies in student support had it and they were reunited - he has now learned to use his locker :)

JD
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

School locker not big enough, and bag needs to be big enough to hold everythign
Bloomers151

Post by Bloomers151 »

ChilledDad wrote:Mind you, we sometimes get an email that another DS has lost his bag "with a pirate ship on it". Who on earth would send their 12 year old DS in with a bag fit for a 5 year old???? I recommend not doing that either as all the boys think it weird and does not endear the DS to others.
Because it was available in the cupboard when he needed a bag. I didn't have to buy yet another piece of PE equipment. It stands out. No-one in their right mind would hang on to it. He doesn't have to lug the huge Games kit bag around anymore. It has come back each time he has lost it (so far). It does the job. He is quite happy with it. Any more comments?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now