Any parents from Hall Green seriously considering SGGS?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Need_guidance

Any parents from Hall Green seriously considering SGGS?

Post by Need_guidance »

My DD hasn't quite met the criteria for Bham GS. If she does well tomorrow, I'd like to seriously consider SGGS. I'm going through this for the first time - I'm frightened of the prospect of sending her on train (even if it is direct!).

Is anyone in a similar position? Does anyone's daughter travel that far? If so, how do they find it? Need some realistic advice. Is it do-able? My husband isn't so keen.
nervousmom

Re: Any parents from Hall Green seriously considering SGGS?

Post by nervousmom »

Need-guidance, this is a worrying time. We went through it for the first time 2 years ago. We are in Earlswood so DS sat Birmingham and warks exams. He did well in both and chose KEFW over KES.

However, if he had gone to KES the train would have been an option for us, although my DH wasn't so keen. We were advised by someone, can't remember who, that a number of children got the train and a number got on the train at Shirley. Not sure about the other end for sggs.

I know there is a bus too, not sure where it starts from, but does go through Hockley Heath.

What score did your dd get? May still be worth putting a Birmingham GS as your first choice as this wont prejudice your chances of other schools, but she may still get the place from the waiting list.

Remember though, make sure you out all your schools on the CAF in your order of choice, a friend of mine wasn't aware that the GS need to be listed on the CAF.

Apparently there have been cases in the past where a child has done extremely well in the 11+ exam, but the GS was not put as firs choice so the weren't given the place.

Therefore, make sure you put your schools in order of preference making sure you put your local comp as your last choice.

My dd will be doing her 11+ next year. KEFW is our first choice, with Alcester Grammer second, then SGGS, then our comp, St Peters.

Hope this has been helpful, but hopefully you will get some replies from parents of girls who are doing the train journey.

Good luck xx
Need_guidance

Post by Need_guidance »

Thank you for your guidance. My DD got a score of 200 which is obviously lower than previous years cut off points. Seems unrealistic she would get in at a Bham GS.

So confusing - I do hope other parents reply as personal experiences are highly invaluable.
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Need_guidance wrote:Thank you for your guidance. My DD got a score of 200 which is obviously lower than previous years cut off points. Seems unrealistic she would get in at a Bham GS.

So confusing - I do hope other parents reply as personal experiences are highly invaluable.
I'm afraid 200 is unlikely to get you a B'ham consortium school- but place it on your CAF anyway. I know a couple of dc -but not personally-(both in year 7) who go to SGGS from Solihull by train & it certainly is doable. I personally think it would be easy to send in pairs than alone so you need to find out if there are others who might be willing to join you. Car journey times to SGGS are tortuous to be honest.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

I don't have a DD at Shottery, but I do know Stratford and its not a straightforward walk from the train station to the school. Others may put me right, but I think they would have to walk through the college and then across a field! Lovely on a warm sunny day, but not much fun in the snow I shouldn't think ...

JD
chebiyebu

Post by chebiyebu »

James Dean is correct about the walk ,but that said you need to plan this journey yourself by looking at bus,train and half drive then public transport. I also know that the private bus by johnson organized by 1 of the parents goes through solihull station which my dd catches in Kenilworth. I am actually looking at possibility of my son going to birminghamgrammarschools fromCoventry as well just in case warwickshire doesn't work out well. It's tough but in the end is your choice. Good luck
Need_guidance

Post by Need_guidance »

Actually this is pointless in retrospect. She only achieved a score of 197! I'm actually shocked how badly she has done. She passed the Walsall one (Score 319 = 1st attempt and less prep) and then Bham with 200 and Wark 197. Ironically she found the Wark one the easiest. I know where she went wrong - she rushed through the questions and guessed some.

She's the kind of child who completes a 45 min paper in 15 mins!

Back to square one...Less than one week left to do the CAF and don't know where to start!
um

Post by um »

Best wishes to your dd and you, Need_guidance.
I hope that you find a good school for her and that she'll be happy there.
Have you considered any of the new free schools such as Nishkam High (non-Sikhs can apply and it has high standards) and the Uni of Bham free school?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now