Ashlawn or Lawrence Sheriff?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ryan123

Ashlawn or Lawrence Sheriff?

Post by ryan123 »

Okay, so I know both schools are excellent with amazing results but I'm unsure on which school to send my child to! Please give advice
Janeymorris

Re: Ashlawn or Lawrence Sheriff?

Post by Janeymorris »

I have a child at one of these schools with a best mate at the other. Both children are doing equally well, likely to get as for most subjects, both are best suited to the schools they chose and both would not have enjoyed each others school...so I would visit both, both on the open day and a private tour on a school day and I will suspect you will get a feel for your child's personality and where they will best fit.
I would say, LSS is better suited to the studious boy, who enjoys reading, happy to take time doing homework, enjoys maths and computing with parents who would prefer him to mix with similar type children/put studies first or a boy who excels in competitive sport i.e. family very involved in county sport e.g. cricket/rugby, they will be quickly spotted and represent LSS at most sports (sporty but not noticed or not at high level unlikely to be picked for teams). All boys so if your child mixes very well with girls at primary (rather than being in the 'boy group', may find it quite hard).
Ashlawn better suited to the clever but reluctant student..not keen on reading/homework, they will do most of their work at school, get pushed to their ability,have fun and lively teachers..but bear in mind it is a comprehensive, so much more diverse (and streetwise) kids), no problems with getting into sports teams (its all inclusive, but be prepared to loose quite a bit!), and a mixed environment diffuses most situations. They are both good schools, but different (but don't get too stressed as all can change at sixth form).
ryan123

Post by ryan123 »

Thanks Janeymorris!

My eldest child is already at Ashlawn and he loves it! He's in Year 9 and they get about 7-11 pieces of homework every week. My nephew is at LSS and he is also in Year 9 and they receive about the same amount of homework as Ashlawn and at a similar level of difficulty. I must say that my son's results are higher than my nephew's who is at LSS and this has made the decision difficult. Ashlawn's grammar stream has 120 places (30 from the 11+ and 90 students who had the highest SATs results). The schools are very similar and Ashlawn really push their students. I went to both of their open evenings and I was very impressed by Ashlawn, not so much LSS. My son also prefers Ashlawn to LSS based on the open evening. I think he'll get a better rounded education at Ashlawn and their results are impressive. LSS's results are impressive too but Ashlawn Grammar's results are better. My son will be sitting the 11+ soon and we have to submit the CAF form by October 2015 I think. I think Ashlawn is the one based on results and overall atmosphere. Ashlawn is a mixed school too and Ashlawn prepare you for the real world better. Tell me what you think everyone!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

It sounds very much as if you have already decided!