End of Free Bus travel to Grammar Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Guest55

Re: End of Free Bus travel to Grammar Schools

Post by Guest55 »

Do remember that legally the Council only had to give free transport to your nearest Secondary school - so we have all been fortunate to have the service for so long.
MadDad1975

Post by MadDad1975 »

Vacant seats are made available if there are spare seats on council commissioned vehicles. The only people really guaranteed vacant seats are those who have travelled before - even then there is no absolute guarantee. I'd also say with the savings that the council has to make that there may be less available than before. Removing vehicles saves more money than selling seats at a slight subsidy and any vehicles serving out of county residents are most likely to be targeted. it's obviously difficult to justify any kind of subsidy to non-Warwickshire residents.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Guest55 wrote:Do remember that legally the Council only had to give free transport to your nearest Secondary school - so we have all been fortunate to have the service for so long.
OP was very careful to point out that she understood the charge and wasn't complaining about it.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Yamin have sent you a pm.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Yamin have sent you a pm.
Replied to you :)
Kipan

Post by Kipan »

I'm also fretting about travel! Found the eligibility on the website if it helps anybody:

Eligibility

Vacant seats will be allocated to students based on the categories below. The categories are listed in order of priority (highest first):

Category 1. Those students living in an area previously covered by the Contributory Transport Scheme*, or students who have purchased a Vacant Seat in the previous academic year.
Category 2. Warwickshire residents who have not previously travelled under the Vacant Seats Scheme.
Category 3. Non-Warwickshire residents who have not previously travelled under the Vacant Seats Scheme.

Is there anybody on the forum who knows how busy the 281 to AGS is?!

Blue text changed as this is reserved for moderator use. :D
Waynetta

Post by Waynetta »

Hi
we are out of catchment near Banbury and my DD travels to SGGS everyday. You're right the official wording sounds scary-my experience and that of other out of area folk is as long as you get your application in on time, you should be OK. Word of warning, if you're late there's a very good chance you won't get a seat.

There's no reduction on the service either-it's a flat rate -either for the c. 3 mile version or the longer one. As another poster said though, for the quality of education I'm more than happy to pay, much cheaper than £12K per annum private fees.

Good luck!
gladthatsover76

Post by gladthatsover76 »

I am really confused. Is the vacant seat scheme I need to apply for to get DD to SGGS and am I correct that I cant apply before June?
Bect1969

Post by Bect1969 »

gladthatsover76 wrote:I am really confused. Is the vacant seat scheme I need to apply for to get DD to SGGS and am I correct that I cant apply before June?

I think that is right, the new form to complete for the Autumn term is not available until June, eithe on line or by post so nothing you can do before then, apart from maybe contacting WCC to make sure they send you the form, but to be honest, my experience is that you see the online version before you get anything in the post.
gladthatsover76

Post by gladthatsover76 »

Bect1969 wrote:
gladthatsover76 wrote:I am really confused. Is the vacant seat scheme I need to apply for to get DD to SGGS and am I correct that I cant apply before June?

I think that is right, the new form to complete for the Autumn term is not available until June, eithe on line or by post so nothing you can do before then, apart from maybe contacting WCC to make sure they send you the form, but to be honest, my experience is that you see the online version before you get anything in the post.
Thank you
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now