How are A Level Science Results at Lawrence Sherriff

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest222

How are A Level Science Results at Lawrence Sherriff

Post by Guest222 »

Can any parents of children currently at LS advise on how good the A Level results are in Physics, Mathematics, Biology and Chemistry.

I get the impression the school does well at GCSEs, but I am not sure at A Levels, particlraly the four mentioned above
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Not a parent (yet?!?!) but I happen to always read their newsletter on their website. Look for something called the Weekly Word. You access it by going onto their website, click enter, click information then click Weekly Word. A few weeks ago the headmaster's spiel was dedicated to their results at A Level. I think that you will find whet you are looking for, but i haven't just checked so it may not be enough info...
If that doesn't help I have actually got the data in front of me.
In fact, let me give you the results now...

A2 Results for Summer 2007

Subject A B C D E U
Maths 28 5 11 4 2
Physics 9 5 2 1 2
Biology 6 4 11 5 2
Chemistry 9 8 6 3 3
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

The table altered slightly when I sent it. Just so you know, the results are in order and there were no Us.
Having looked at my info there was also a separate table for those boys who took the subject at Rugby High due to timetabling issues so one more boy took physics and gained a B
Hope all this helps.
Guest222

Post by Guest222 »

Thank's Ed's Mum

Quick question, I live slightly out of catchment. Is it still poissble for my son to apply to thi school, and get a place subject to scores. Or is it subject to those passing who live in the catchment area. Furthermore, are thre usually any places left for out of catchment pupils. Please advise.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

They do admit above their PAN and they certainly accepted out of catchment children last year, but we cannot expect our children to gain a place if we are out of catchment - which my family is also.
They do admit those in catchment first and only offer out of catchment children a place if they are available. We are much more likely to get a boy into LSS though than a girl into RHS as I believe they do not dmit above their PAN so we are planning to move into catchment before my daughter takes the exam in two years.
Hope this helps...
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Dear Guest 222,

If you have a look on the Warwickshire LEA website you will find the information regarding selection for 2008 entry. I don't know whether the criteria ever changes: I had always heard that "loads of children get in from out of catchment", but on reading the above I realise that this can't be true unless the criteria have changed this year. I think the main objection (locally) has been that the priority area includes towns such as Lutterworth & Daventry, which are out of the LEA.

Incase you can't find the relevent page, I can quote a little for you:

(1 being children within priority area scoring at or above automatic entry level, 2 being within catchment & successful boarderline scores).

"3. Only if there are insufficient children in 1 and 2 to fill the schools, will applications from children living outside the priority circle be considered....... Places will not normally be offered in this category in the first round of offers but children will be retained on the waiting list."

To me this doesn't look terribly hopeful (sorry Edsmum) as I don't think many offers are turned down. Particularly now that scholarship levels are so low.

Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Don't worry, I know...
Would like to say more but I can't.