Which High School?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Thornet

Which High School?

Post by Thornet »

My DS did not make the score but glad he had the experience!
Any advice on High Schools? I am hearing varied opinions on Stratford High and Kineton. Any advice appreciated! Is Stratford High on the up, people seem to rate the new Head.
sherlock1

Re: Which High School?

Post by sherlock1 »

There is no answer to this question! Sorry if that doesn't sound helpful!

Different schools appeal to or bring out the best in different children - there is no one size fits all. I know parents and kids who love Stratford, and others who don't. You really have to visit each school with your child and work out which environment is best for them.

Both mine have ended up at AGS but both had a different High School fall back on the basis of what we saw and what they wanted.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

They are completely different schools, with very different catchments:

S/H...town based, large vs Kineton rural based and relatively small. They have incredibly different feels to them and would need to be visited to fully appreciate the differences. Do not be swayed by fancy facilities and buildings - look at what goes on inside them, the quality of the teaching, the value added, the attainment levels of bright children. Ask the schools how they deal with top end kids. Ask about extra curricular activities...ask about discipline issues and whether they have any problems around drugs/bullying. All these things will help you make a decision.
Sillygoose

Post by Sillygoose »

I wish we had done day visits for DS. Open evenings are fun but having done day time visits I now see they are of limited help in my humble opinion.

On the day visits it was a real eye opener to lurk outside classes and hear the teaching going on and to peek at the kids to see if they were engaged. Listening and observing the behaviour at lesson changes and having far more time to walk and talk with staff than you do on open evening. It changed our preferences completely!

My only concern is you may have left it too late to do this as half term is upon us and your choices need to be in soon.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now