Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:15 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Shottery ranking
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:12 am
Posts: 5
Advice for Shottery please. DD scored 229 ranked 129 with 5 others. Worried that if We put Shottery as 1st choice and she isn't offered a place, we miss out on a place at her local school which is oversubscribed too. Not sure how borderline this score is as first time sitting the 11+. Please help!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shottery ranking
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:58 pm
Posts: 38
Regardless of the likelihood of you being offered a place you won't lose anything by putting Shottery first and your local school second.

The equal preference system means that if you can't be offered a place at your first choice of school your next preference is then looked at and so on.

Anyone applying should always therefore put their preferred schools first and include the 'local' school as a backup preference further down the CAF - just in case.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shottery ranking
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:12 am
Posts: 5
Jason Orange wrote:
Regardless of the likelihood of you being offered a place you won't lose anything by putting Shottery first and your local school second.

The equal preference system means that if you can't be offered a place at your first choice of school your next preference is then looked at and so on.

Anyone applying should always therefore put their preferred schools first and include the 'local' school as a backup preference further down the CAF - just in case.


Thank you, it's all a bit confusing at the moment!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shottery ranking
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:59 pm
Posts: 2818
Shottery has a PAN of 120. Of the 128 girls who are ranked ahead of you, it would be a very odd year if some of them didn't opt for Alcester as a preference (either for co-ed or logistical reasons); some will opt for B'ham GS and some for private schools, all of which will effectively bring your rank score down closer to or within the PAN.

Put Shottery first, if you don't get it (and I would assume you will) in March, your second choice will automatically become your first choice (but you will be put on the waiting list for Shottery, assuming your score is above the AQS).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shottery ranking
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:12 am
Posts: 5
kenyancowgirl wrote:
Shottery has a PAN of 120. Of the 128 girls who are ranked ahead of you, it would be a very odd year if some of them didn't opt for Alcester as a preference (either for co-ed or logistical reasons); some will opt for B'ham GS and some for private schools, all of which will effectively bring your rank score down closer to or within the PAN.

Put Shottery first, if you don't get it (and I would assume you will) in March, your second choice will automatically become your first choice (but you will be put on the waiting list for Shottery, assuming your score is above the AQS).


Thank you kenyancowgirl :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shottery ranking
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:38 am
Posts: 1043
Location: West Midlands / warks border
Everything is done by computer. A central programme for all councils around the country.

The individual schools have no idea of your preferences and your CAF choices are in no way jeopardised by your order of preferences.

As KCG says, it would be very unlikely that all those girls above your DD will choose SGGS. (My DD is one of those above your DD and she is hopefully going to KEFW, but our second choice is AGS, so one less for you to worry about already!)

If SGGS is your first choice then you must put this as first choice without a shadow of a doubt. I would say you have a very good chance of gaining the place on offers day.

Their lowest offer from waiting list for 2015 entry was 212. Your DD was 17 points above this. I don't think you have anything at all to worry about.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shottery ranking
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:12 am
Posts: 5
nervousmom wrote:
Everything is done by computer. A central programme for all councils around the country.

The individual schools have no idea of your preferences and your CAF choices are in no way jeopardised by your order of preferences.

As KCG says, it would be very unlikely that all those girls above your DD will choose SGGS. (My DD is one of those above your DD and she is hopefully going to KEFW, but our second choice is AGS, so one less for you to worry about already!)

If SGGS is your first choice then you must put this as first choice without a shadow of a doubt. I would say you have a very good chance of gaining the place on offers day.

Their lowest offer from waiting list for 2015 entry was 212. Your DD was 17 points above this. I don't think you have anything at all to worry about.


Thank you, nervous mom. Good luck to your DD.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016