Year 8 place at KES -

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Yamin151

Year 8 place at KES -

Post by Yamin151 »

A nice surprise for someone, I wonder if the recipient's parents are on here?

Not sure of the story behind the boy leaving - but word is that going to KES B'ham as KES S-O-A not challenging enough??? (But that could just be a story I guess)

Anyway, good luck to the new boy coming in - it must be hard if he's got used to ordinary secondary and suddenly lands in a super -selective but sure they will welcome him.
JamesDean

Re: Year 8 place at KES -

Post by JamesDean »

Yamin151 wrote:... as KES S-O-A not challenging enough??? (But that could just be a story I guess).
:lol: My DS would def keep quiet about that - anything for an easy life!

Anyone know how the places are allocated further up the school? Is the original waiting list still in operation or would you have to sit a brand new test??

JD
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Warwickshire Admissions do it...I think (if memory serves me right when a space appeared in DS1s year) they maintain a waiting list on behalf of KES which feeds in any "new" to area kids (or kids who didn't take the 11+ in their correct year). I suspect parents who are interested in a place may have to request to be left on the list after the official waiting list closes in Dec.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

I'm thinking I rea something a couple years back about you being able to renew your desire to stay on the waiting list after term starts had to be registered with the school, but I don't know if that works into year 8........
I would imagine though that they always have a pocket of in year applications on file, for the younger years at least. Maybe they would have to do a maths and english test after all that time since 11+ passed.....?

Crossed posts with kcg
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

At least for the grammar with whose in-year admissions we are familiar, so to speak, one had to renew one's expression of interest via the LEA each academic year. In DD's case, it had got to June with no whiff of a place being available and I was just going to explore (gently) whether she wanted to stay on for year 8, when she it an invitation to be re-tested and got one of the three places being offered at that time :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Golly, how nice, and the rest is history?

But a retest, just of english and maths?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Yamin151 wrote:Golly, how nice, and the rest is history?

But a retest, just of english and maths?
They were tested in English, Maths and Science. It was gratifying for her to get the place, which we accepted, but we were all pretty happy with her allocated school, so not getting the grammar place (again) would have been a disappointment rather than a disaster.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Curious Cat

Post by Curious Cat »

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I contacted KES and no one has left or has indicated that they are leaving Year 8 (or any other year for that matter). As I you might suspect the only people to who seem to leave KES are moving out of the area and these families usually try to do this in time for September. Where did you hear this story Yasmin151? I got the feeling that your post resulted in a number of calls to the school today!
Bect1969

Post by Bect1969 »

Curious Cat wrote:I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I contacted KES and no one has left or has indicated that they are leaving Year 8 (or any other year for that matter). As I you might suspect the only people to who seem to leave KES are moving out of the area and these families usually try to do this in time for September. Where did you hear this story Yasmin151? I got the feeling that your post resulted in a number of calls to the school today!
My DS1 is in Year 8 at KES Stratford and he has said one of the boys is leaving because the school is not pushing him enough and he is looking to go to one of the Birmingham KES schools so maybe a place will become available......
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Could be that there is a boy who has used up all his chances and is on the last ticket and the "school isn't pushing him" is a face saving exercise? KES are a school known to encourage students to exceed all targets, so the not pushing him hard enough bit doesn't ring true...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now