KES students 2015

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bect1969

Re: KES students 2015

Post by Bect1969 »

Few things that I think have probably been answered already:

1. Manor Road is not really a long walk and I think the boys actually like walking there, being out of school and all that. Year 7s have their sports afternoon there on a Friday, so are only there once a week during school hours, then Year 7&8 Rugby training is there (and Stratford Rugby club when it is darker at night) on a Tuesday and home games are there on a Sat for Year 7.

2. I went to the aprents AGM a couple of weeks ago and can confirm the fact that mandarin will be taught to Year 7s from Sept as well as Latin then third language to choose in Year 8(french, spanish or german)

I think that was it for now.
Last edited by Bect1969 on Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

So they are not making Latin compulsory in Y7 any more?...that isn't what I heard but that was a little while ago...!
gingerly67

Post by gingerly67 »

I found this in the notes on the new Mandarin department on the KES website (Vacancies section):
*All students in Year 7 will study Mandarin and Latin. In Year 8 they will also choose to study French, Spanish or German as a third language. Students will take one compulsory language (from Mandarin, French, Spanish, German and Latin) at GCSE starting in Year 9 and have the full choice of languages at A Level.
I'd be interested to know whether this has changed as you suggest, Bect1969!
Bect1969

Post by Bect1969 »

gingerly67 wrote:I found this in the notes on the new Mandarin department on the KES website (Vacancies section):
*All students in Year 7 will study Mandarin and Latin. In Year 8 they will also choose to study French, Spanish or German as a third language. Students will take one compulsory language (from Mandarin, French, Spanish, German and Latin) at GCSE starting in Year 9 and have the full choice of languages at A Level.
I'd be interested to know whether this has changed as you suggest, Bect1969!

BIG SORRY - I meant Latin not French!! - I have revised my previous post! I was thinking Latin but my fingers typed French!!
gingerly67

Post by gingerly67 »

Many thanks for confirming that! I'm happy if that's the case - am all in favour of Latin (for me one of the many plus points of the school...) and it's definitely good if they have a choice for the second MFL.
rimjhimm100

Post by rimjhimm100 »

Good luck with your decision, rimjimm100, and for your DS's interview. We love KES too, so hope to see you there! My DS only has a 10-min car journey to school at the moment, but is REALLY looking forward to going on the bus. His primary give next to no homework, however, so that will be a big change.
What does your DS think about the introduction of Mandarin as first foreign language in Y7 and Y8? I've just noticed this on the school website. This came as a surprise to me as I was expecting them to start with French. An interesting and brave decision on the part of the school, I thought![/quote]

Thank you gingerly67! Sorry just seen your post, not been on the forum past few days.
Visit to KES was wonderful as ever and incidentally they were doing their trial lesson on mandarin just as we were being shown around! Our guide was the head boy George and he was really so good!!!! He was so enthusiastic about the school and his attitude was so lovely that I wanted to go back to school myself!
DS is impressed that mandarin will be taught and we think it is certainly the way to go.
I have also picked up your comments on sports etc and I totally understand what you mean. My DS isn't very sporty either and we are waiting for him to find his own niche as far as the sports world goes. He recently started Hockey outside of school as well as cricket (plays both at school but is never 'good enough') and seems to be enjoying them. Let us see how long this continues as its early days yet!

I have been told tomorrow's post will bring news from KES Edgbaston, and Saturday from Solihull school. My fav is still KES Stratford.
I keep saying the only hitch for us is the distance and although I know many boys travel to KES from far, I keep hearing how long the day will be and homework issues etc etc. We will just have to move closer I say!
Bect1969

Post by Bect1969 »

rimjhimm100 wrote:Good luck with your decision, rimjimm100, and for your DS's interview. We love KES too, so hope to see you there! My DS only has a 10-min car journey to school at the moment, but is REALLY looking forward to going on the bus. His primary give next to no homework, however, so that will be a big change.
What does your DS think about the introduction of Mandarin as first foreign language in Y7 and Y8? I've just noticed this on the school website. This came as a surprise to me as I was expecting them to start with French. An interesting and brave decision on the part of the school, I thought!

Thank you gingerly67! Sorry just seen your post, not been on the forum past few days.
Visit to KES was wonderful as ever and incidentally they were doing their trial lesson on mandarin just as we were being shown around! Our guide was the head boy George and he was really so good!!!! He was so enthusiastic about the school and his attitude was so lovely that I wanted to go back to school myself!
DS is impressed that mandarin will be taught and we think it is certainly the way to go.
I have also picked up your comments on sports etc and I totally understand what you mean. My DS isn't very sporty either and we are waiting for him to find his own niche as far as the sports world goes. He recently started Hockey outside of school as well as cricket (plays both at school but is never 'good enough') and seems to be enjoying them. Let us see how long this continues as its early days yet!

I have been told tomorrow's post will bring news from KES Edgbaston, and Saturday from Solihull school. My fav is still KES Stratford.
I keep saying the only hitch for us is the distance and although I know many boys travel to KES from far, I keep hearing how long the day will be and homework issues etc etc. We will just have to move closer I say![/quote]

If it helps, my DS now in Year 8, leaves the house at 7.30am, returns at 5pm (if no after school activities) goes straight upstairs to make a start on homework. In year 7 he probably did about 2 hours a night, Year 8 probs 2.5 hours a night, but he loves being at KES (Stratford) so no bother to him!!!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Bect1969 wrote:
rimjhimm100 wrote:Good luck with your decision, rimjimm100, and for your DS's interview. We love KES too, so hope to see you there! My DS only has a 10-min car journey to school at the moment, but is REALLY looking forward to going on the bus. His primary give next to no homework, however, so that will be a big change.
What does your DS think about the introduction of Mandarin as first foreign language in Y7 and Y8? I've just noticed this on the school website. This came as a surprise to me as I was expecting them to start with French. An interesting and brave decision on the part of the school, I thought!

I keep saying the only hitch for us is the distance and although I know many boys travel to KES from far, I keep hearing how long the day will be and homework issues etc etc. We will just have to move closer I say!

If it helps, my DS now in Year 8, leaves the house at 7.30am, returns at 5pm (if no after school activities) goes straight upstairs to make a start on homework. In year 7 he probably did about 2 hours a night, Year 8 probs 2.5 hours a night, but he loves being at KES (Stratford) so no bother to him!!!
Really?? My DS, also year 8, does nothing like that much time. I think boys are very good at "rolling around on one buttock" as we call it, looking at things/reading/contemplating and actually work time is nothing like the amount of homework we were led to expect. I would say 30 mins to an hour or day, on average, at most. But that's actually getting on with it, since he works generally in the kitchen I know when he's working and when he's standing up to kick a ball around the kitchen (mostly because it trips me up! :roll: ). All this with happy parents evening feedback, by the way.
So, just for balance, not always hours of work required.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Agreed, Yamin.

Bect1969, I'm sorry, there is a reason KES have a homework timetable - and I would think the teachers would be very concerned to hear that he has been working for 2 hours in Year 7: the maximum is supposed to be 1 hour per night, and 2.5 hours per night in Year 8: maximum is supposed to be 1.5 hours. In both years, the total "time" set each night is usually much less than this, with the obvious exception, when they have a longer IST project, usually over half-term or holidays, but even then the time allowed is about 2 or 3 homework worth.

They may be pleased with the quality of work he is producing but NOT if they hear it is taking him twice as long to produce it!! There is a skill to producing good quality work in the time set and, to be frank, it is harder than spending hours on it. They do say very clearly that if your son is taking longer than the time set on the timetable, you should stop him at the set time and let the staff know - either the level is wrong for you son or he is doing it in more detail than is required and could probably be encouraged to do some other things with his time. I would be very worried if he is doing that amount at this time as it is not sustainable as the work loads increase through the school. They are only 12/13 in Year 8 after all!!

My DS1 is in Y10 and doesn't spend 2.5 hours per night on homework (he spends about 2 hours on a "bad" night....)

OP please do not worry about the homework - if your ds does a lot of after school activities, you may find that you have a bit of catch up to do over the weekend, but generally, the work set is of an appropriate standard and related to the lesson, so makes sense!
rimjhimm100

Post by rimjhimm100 »

Thank you Bect1969, Yamin151 and kenyancowgirl for the info, it's all very helpful.

Currently we leave home at 7.30 (7.20 if Cross country etc) and get back home 5-ish (non-activity night) and though our school gives at least 1 piece of h/w every night, it is do-able. From Solihull to KES Stratford, our travel time will increase (in comparison) but DS is kind of used to the long hours. Our concerns are that travelling by car with mum is different to travelling by bus for an hour. However, after the 1st year once he is more independent he can catch a train which will reduce travelling time and we may move halfway which will also help in reduction of travelling time.

It is very reassuring to know that the school doesn't expect them to spend too long on h/w and offer help/look into it if it's not working out.

DS has had a scholarship offer from KES edgbaston and whilst it is a good offer and we could carry on financing just like we have been doing until now, it'll be better to opt for a brilliant school (KES Stratford) where we don't need to pay and can still guarantee excellent education for our son. Every time we visit we come out of there feeling happy and the issues of travel times/offsite sports fields etc begin to fade away.

I joined the forum only few months ago and I have found everyone is so helpful and open with information. From the Birmingham/Walsall forum I have gathered so much on the Brum KE grammars and now on KES edgbaston as well. And from Warwickshire due to all the advice and feedback on KES Stratford it has been so much easier to deal with the conflict and dilemma that my husband and I have been going through ever since the consortium results came out.

Although we have been so lucky to be in a position to opt for any school, yet it has been a dilemma and thanks to you all we are quite clear that KES S is the way to go.

Thank you again everyone xx