Post by Bect1969 »

EllieMum wrote:2016 Warwickshire AQS & Minimum waiting list scores
KES AQS 232; waiting list 226+
SGGS AQS 222; waiting list 216+
AGS AQS 217; waiting list 212+
LSS AQS 207; waiting list 202+
RHS AQS 205; waiting list 200+
Ashlawn* AQS 203; waiting list 198+
From (pdf): http://apps.warwickshire.gov.uk/api/doc ... CC-699-529" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Published on this page: https://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/elevenplus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for this - the letter on the website with the AQS information in it, looks like it should have been sent to with the offer letter - unless it comes in the next day or two.
kenyancowgirl

Re: 2016 Entry Results

Post by kenyancowgirl »

EllieMum wrote:
JamesDean wrote:Interesting reading, EllieMum, thank you for the link.
So KES only allocated 2 of its 10 PP places this year then ...

JD
Agree, thought it was very interesting reading! A little surprised at the same stat as you...
Although proportionately out of total numbers, KES has offered to one of the highest percentages, iyswim. Up to 10 points below AQS could be a big drop - with hundreds of kids ranked the same - especially as the points required for KES are so much higher already than AGS/SGGS etc etc....I guess they want to see how it works?
guest201

Post by guest201 »

JD
Or are there 8 PP kids who achieved the AQS so they only had to allocate 2 to kids who got up to 10 marks below AQS.
In the case of Lawrence Sheriff there is only 1 PP place which is very strange as LSS was I believe the first school to commit to giving opportunities to PP kids, there must be 9 others who achieved AQS.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

guest201 wrote:
JD
Or are there 8 PP kids who achieved the AQS so they only had to allocate 2 to kids who got up to 10 marks below AQS.
In the case of Lawrence Sheriff there is only 1 PP place which is very strange as LSS was I believe the first school to commit to giving opportunities to PP kids, there must be 9 others who achieved AQS.
No idea! My assumption was if you met the AQS, it didn't matter if you were PP or not. Then there were the 10 places reserved for PP boys only 10 points below the AQS. If its actually how you describe it Guest, then it seems a bit of a swizz as those 8 boys would have got places anyway ... That's a shame, it felt like a real opportunity to widen access.

However, if my assumption is correct, then they need to spread the word better next year - it could just be that the new policy wasn't widely known about :D

JD
Yellowbox

Post by Yellowbox »

Like JamesDean I've read it as PP that score between 1 and 10 below the AQS are offered. My DS is an Ever 6 so I think still seen as PP but scored 250+ so I assume not one of the 2 for KES
Curious Cat

Post by Curious Cat »

I don't think you can call it a Swizz JamesDean. The school clearly wants to widen access but is caught between a rock and a hard place. They have lowered by AQS by 10 marks for FSM children in the hope that there would be 10 FSM children within this range. Unfortunately it has only resulted in the allocation of two places (which is still more than some of the others grammar schools). They could make the AQS even lower but they risk accepting children who have scored so far below the rest of the cohort that they struggle, which would only add to their disadvantage.
rimjhimm100

Post by rimjhimm100 »

nervousmom wrote:Yes, we got our letter today. Not much info on it, apart from the offer.

Impressed with KEFW, we have received a welcome letter from them this morning, enclosing a 'well done' letter for DD along with a Head's commendation chocolate bar. Also includes an acceptance letter which must be returned to school by 14th March and a confidential data form.
How lovely, bet your DD was pleased!

We haven't even had an offer letter yet.....I wonder if that'll be from KES or Solihull LEA?
Curious Cat

Post by Curious Cat »

The offer letters come from the LA. This is what it says on the KES website (http://www.kes.net/admissions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

"The Headmaster will write to the parents of all successful applicants in April 2016 inviting them and their sons to meet with him at School. The letter will also contain details of the New Parents’ Evening and Induction Day which will be in June 2016"
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Curious Cat wrote:I don't think you can call it a Swizz JamesDean. The school clearly wants to widen access but is caught between a rock and a hard place. They have lowered by AQS by 10 marks for FSM children in the hope that there would be 10 FSM children within this range. Unfortunately it has only resulted in the allocation of two places (which is still more than some of the others grammar schools). They could make the AQS even lower but they risk accepting children who have scored so far below the rest of the cohort that they struggle, which would only add to their disadvantage.
However much we want to believed that all that stands between a bright child who is FSM and a grammar school education is the slifht loosening of marks in recognition of a lack of hot housing or coaching or whatever the fact remains that if you look at a cohort of GS children they are overwhelmingly middle class because that TENDS to be the group in which education is valued the most and aspirations are so high. Of course any demographic assumption is marked by its exceptions, of which there are plenty. I would still argue though, that most of those exceptions are those where middle class values of holding education as a high priority are part of the parenting, for example an educated family falling on hard times, or divorce bringing hard times or whatever. The heart warming picture of a Billy Elliot style rise through difficulties to overcome all through a free GS education is still a rare one. Again, there are notable exceptions. That such easing of access is offered in this way is crucial of course, but that only 2 fell into the criteria of that 10 marks does not surprise me. Many who might have probably wouldn't have wanted KES.
Please don't shout me down too much, I DO acknowledge the exceptions, I know they are the, just not many for this particular school.
rimjhimm100

Post by rimjhimm100 »

Curious Cat wrote:The offer letters come from the LA. This is what it says on the KES website (http://www.kes.net/admissions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

"The Headmaster will write to the parents of all successful applicants in April 2016 inviting them and their sons to meet with him at School. The letter will also contain details of the New Parents’ Evening and Induction Day which will be in June 2016"
Thank you Curious Cat
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now