11+ registration 2017

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
cupcake19

Re: 11+ registration 2017

Post by cupcake19 »

Hi,

I've registered my daughter for the MFL at Ashlawn, but I'm not expecting this to go well - she is a Maths girl, and English is a bit of a battle.

Can I ask what other open evenings you've gone to? We've only been to Princethorpe so far, with RHS and Ashlawn to come. I'll post the date of other open evenings later when I can find the newspaper
cupcake19

Post by cupcake19 »

Ashlawn - Tue 21st and Thu 30th June - 6.30-8.30 (with HT speaking at 6.30 and 7.30)
RHS - Wed 29th June - 7.00-9.00 (with HT speaking at 7.15 and 8.00)
Lawrence Sheriff - Wed 29th June - 6.00-8.00 (with HT speaking at 6.00 and 7.00)
Bilton - Thu 7th July - 5.30-7.00 (with HT speaking at 5.30 and 6.00)
Avon Valley - Thu 22nd Sep - 6.15-8.30 (with HT speaking at 6.30 and 7.30)
Harris - Thu 15th Sep - 6.00-8.00 (with HT speaking at 6.00 and 7.00)
Rugby Free School - Tue 13th Sep - 6.00-8.00 (with HT speaking at 6.00)
Rugbymumto2

Post by Rugbymumto2 »

Thanks for the welcome, sorry for the late reply.
I have entered DD for Ashlawn MFL, she read through the notes and said she would try it as it sounded fun :-/
We are off to Rugby HS tomorrow night and Ashlawn on Thursday then a long wait until September for the others. We also have the free school and Harris as catchment so need to do everything possible...
cupcake19

Post by cupcake19 »

It sounds like your daughter is keen :) definitely a lot more so than mini cupcake, who wanted to know if it would all be language based...

We're also off to Rugby HS tomorrow and hoping to make Ashlawn on Thursday. Realistically I don't think mini cupcake would pass the MFL test, but she is willing to give it a go, and I'm being positive in encouraging all English/language skills.

Our catchments are basically Bilton, Harris (unlikely, as not church regulars) and the Free School. To be honest I don't like the thought of any, which is why we went to the evening at Princethorpe..this honestly feels so stressful and the next 9 months will feel longer than pregnancy..
Rugbymumto2

Post by Rugbymumto2 »

It seems everyone has been given the free school and Harris as catchment! We are also going to look at the Lutterworth schools as back-up, it will be hard work getting her there but I have only heard good things about the schools there.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Hi, we've also been given Rugby Free School, Harris, and Ashlawn. Looking round Lawrence Sheriff tonight but really not sure why we're bothering.

I'm panicking; I registered two weeks ago today for the 11+ and haven't heard. WCC tell me they have a "batch" of forms to send out, and couldn't tell me if mine was one of them. Ds will sit MFL but will try. English is not his strongest point, but he has to try. He wants to go to Ashlawn - fortunately, as we want him to go there too - just don't know if he'll get a place as we're three miles away.

Regarding Rugby Free School, does anybody know if it's even built yet?

Rugbymumto2, if we lived nearer, I too would look round the Lutterworth schools, I have heard good things about them too. Good luck.
guest201

Post by guest201 »

The MFL test at Ashlawn is nothing to do with English ability, if anything it is more logic than anything else.
Rugbymumto2

Post by Rugbymumto2 »

Ginx, it took almost 4 weeks to get our 11+ letter from registering, it states 14 working days but I think we were 19.

Ashlawn were much quicker getting out the MFL letter. From the info on the Ashlawn site the test is definitely more logic/pattern based than English. DD didn't want to do it at first as she finds French quite challenging, but when she read through the explanation she was happy to try as it doesn't seem to be language based. (Clearly I am highly aware of the irony here, and it will be even more ironic if she does well in it!)

DD loved RHS tonight, we'll see what she makes of Ashlawn tomorrow but I think RHS grabbed her.
cupcake19

Post by cupcake19 »

Just to reiterate what rugbymumto2 said, it took Warwickshire ages to get my DD's letter to me and I registered on the first day it opened.

My DD also seemed very taken with RHS. I also liked it, but do have some concerns about it being a single sex school. That said I am also concerned Ashlawn would overwhelm her due to the size. It's not easy this, is it? Sadly we were also unable to make the Ashlawn open evening.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now