Very quiet in Warwickshire!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ginx

Re: Very quiet in Warwickshire!

Post by ginx »

As my ds doesn't want to have a very low mark, maybe it will be in his favour if they are bunched ... But difficult to work out "pass" Mark.

I keep hearing it was easy. I wonder how many dc Sat the exam, also boy:girl ratio. More boys in our school.
Rugbymumto2

Post by Rugbymumto2 »

Thanks for your posts ginx, all my concerns about Rugby High are echoed in your post, however DD has fallen in love with the place. We had a lovely tour there and Ashlawn seemed so impersonal in comparison, as we went to visit them back to back it was easy to draw comparisons. Even with a bad tour I would prefer her to go to Ashlawn but I can't see it happening.
As so many DC have reported finishing and it being relatively easy I guess it is just a case of wait and see, we are off to visit the Lutterworth schools this week and next as we are planning to put them on the list if she/we like them.
"See" you all at the MFL on Saturday I guess, not an awful lot to do round there to kill an hour, I assume the Paddox pub is closed at 9.30am :shock: :lol:
Chuggabug

Post by Chuggabug »

ginx wrote:As my ds doesn't want to have a very low mark, maybe it will be in his favour if they are bunched ... But difficult to work out "pass" Mark.

I keep hearing it was easy. I wonder how many dc Sat the exam, also boy:girl ratio. More boys in our school.
For info, ratio of girls to boys in our school is 2:1 so probably evens out along the way. Yes, ds said he found it fairly easy and that the timings were fine - he didn't need to rush (which is unlike him!), so who knows what will happen? Maybe a lot of bunching around high scores and even a group of super bright (or super prepped) kids getting 100%?

On the up side, I know ds2 will be delighted if he 'beats' ds1s score, even if it's not enough to get into KES with his big brother, so maybe a silver lining there!!! As per my other post, I'd heard it was a low birth year, but having checked reception admissions for 2010, it's a higher birth year than the previous few years, so don't think we'll benefit from that unfortunately! And more kids taking it every year in South Warwickshire anyway (which is a good thing in my book). What will be, will be I guess!
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

A lot of people reported that the Brum exam last year was easy, especially as they found some of the timings more manageable than they had expected and it seems there were fewer of the obscure questions than before. That did not not impact very much on the average scores though - these remained around the 50% mark - so it could not have been that easy after all!

I think that some of the very well-prepared kids come out saying it was easy because it was easier than some of the preparation they were doing. On Saturday, DS came out saying that it was easier than he thought it would be and that he found the mocks he did harder, but some gentle probing soon showed that there were a few sections where he says he completed it all, but what he means is he guessed the last 9 questions because he was in the last minute!
UmSusu
Chuggabug

Post by Chuggabug »

UmSusu wrote:A lot of people reported that the Brum exam last year was easy, especially as they found some of the timings more manageable than they had expected and it seems there were fewer of the obscure questions than before. That did not not impact very much on the average scores though - these remained around the 50% mark - so it could not have been that easy after all!

I think that some of the very well-prepared kids come out saying it was easy because it was easier than some of the preparation they were doing. On Saturday, DS came out saying that it was easier than he thought it would be and that he found the mocks he did harder, but some gentle probing soon showed that there were a few sections where he says he completed it all, but what he means is he guessed the last 9 questions because he was in the last minute!
Ha ha, yes, UmSusu, I know what you mean! Coming out saying it was easy is no indicator (although it's nice to hear!). In 2014 when my eldest did it, at the end of the test we went out for lunch with his two friends that had also taken it and they both said they found it really easy. My DS was a really deflated and said he found it hard, so we assumed that it was a no go and told him how great the local school he'd be going to was. In the end when the scores came out he'd done brilliantly and was the only one to get a place at KES, so there's genuinely no way of knowing! It's a lot to do with the kids themselves and their perceptions of how hard the test will be - and of course some of them beat themselves up about their performance, and others are really laid back about it. Interesting re having a similar thing for Birmingham last year and it not affecting the scores much... wait and see, I guess.
rimjhimm100

Post by rimjhimm100 »

Bect1969 wrote:My DS2 did a couple of mocks last year and said the 11+ was a bit easier.

Same feedback from my DS too who sat last year and is currently at KES.
Fingers crossed for all who sat the exam on Sat x
Bloomers151

Post by Bloomers151 »

If it's any help, my DS was ranked 115th for Southern boys in October last year. We wanted KES but the highest he has been on the waiting list has been 6th (he was 7th at the end of August as I phoned just in case, before I took the labels off his new uniform :lol: ). However, he has really enjoyed his first few days at AGS and is very, very proud to be there - a very excellent alternative.
phoenix45

Post by phoenix45 »

Bloomers151 wrote:If it's any help, my DS was ranked 115th for Southern boys in October last year. We wanted KES but the highest he has been on the waiting list has been 6th (he was 7th at the end of August as I phoned just in case, before I took the labels off his new uniform :lol: ). However, he has really enjoyed his first few days at AGS and is very, very proud to be there - a very excellent alternative.
reading all this, I cant help but think what an agonising wait this is - I guess every cloud has a silver lining..
phoenix45

Post by phoenix45 »

ginx wrote:As my ds doesn't want to have a very low mark, maybe it will be in his favour if they are bunched ... But difficult to work out "pass" Mark.

there's at least a 1000 boys from Warks sitting the exam, and its reasonable to expect ranks up to 350 to get a grammar school place.
ginx

Post by ginx »

1000 boys!

How many girls?