Very quiet in Warwickshire!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
phoenix45

Re: Very quiet in Warwickshire!

Post by phoenix45 »

ginx wrote:Hi, I hate sitting here waiting to collect my ds when he's finished the 11+.

I don't care whether he passes but he will be upset if his friends get higher scores than him.

Anybody know when we get the results in October?

My ds was a bit bothered yesterday (guess they all were). After a week of tests at school which ds found "easy" he has been demoted from the top table in maths (where he's been since reception) to two tables down. I wonder if this is because everyone else has had coaching. I wish he hadn't found out yesterday - although maybe of course that may make him try harder today and also, he really needs to learn pride comes before a fall and stop bragging so much.

My daughters have told me to stop going on about maths tables, there really is more to life ...

Ds was so pleased he came first in cross country though, he quickly forgot the maths situation. He's had lots of practice in the summer holidays, playing with friends ... or maybe he has learned to run fast to escape his mother nagging him to come and do some work :D

I hope they do well. Thanks, Gav123, for your positive comment about Rugby Free School, ds wants to go there if he doesn't get to Ashlawn. Lots of dc from his school have gone there.

I don't care about a pass, just a reasonable score. Why am I so stressed? Other parents looked ill with worry, so did some of the children, one was crying. I'm not quite that bad, although I am wondering if 1pm is too early for a large glass of wine or two :D
I think results are released on Oct 14th (Friday) and they'll most likely arrive on Saturday by 1st class mail - just chill out - all the best!
cupcake19

Post by cupcake19 »

That's a 35 day count down needed..

Hope everyone's children are relaxing and enjoying a treat tonight (and from an adult point of view, it's definitely not too early for wine now)..
Wonky

Post by Wonky »

phoenix45 wrote::D yeah..mostly quiet but results are due in 4 weeks time - my ds says the exam was easier than expected - we live locally in Stratford..
I'm glad you said that. DS also said the same. He'd done a couple of mocks and said that they were tougher than today. Good luck to all. Nothing to be done to change it now :)
cupcake19

Post by cupcake19 »

Is there anywhere that says results in 4 weeks (which would be 8th October)? Warwickshire website says the 14th for posting out...

I wonder how many times I'll be checking the forum in 4 weeks time..

My DD also says the exam was easier than the mocks she did in Shirley..I hope that won't mean lots of bunching of marks, which could make for a tense time..
Wonky

Post by Wonky »

On a side note I spent a little time looking at what he may need to get. It's clear that while scores may vary the rankings are key. We're in Southern so I only looked at KES and AGS.

I may be wrong but from what I can see from previous years to have a reasonable chance of getting into KES you need to be looking at top 110 form all boys in southern circle

For AGS looks like about top 450 from ALL in southern circle.

Obviously though nothing is certain above the PAN for each school. Interested in others thoughts on those figures?
cupcake19

Post by cupcake19 »

That's my understanding as well that rankings are key. I don't know so much about KES as I'm interested in Eastern area girls, but my basic knowledge is it's extremely tough as the PAN is lower than the other grammar schools (81 places available). I guess 110 boys would be about right as some will go to indie's and others might prefer AGS..I think from reading the thread that there is very little waiting list movement on KES..

I must admit I've no idea what ranking I'm looking for in eastern area girls - we are only a couple of miles from the School, but I still can't get my head around the 2 circles..
Wonky

Post by Wonky »

To come up with those had to do a bit of cross referencing between previous years October results and then the Spring allocations threads on here. They look to be fairly consistent.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Well, my ds says he's sure all his comprehension was wrong and he had to guess all the vr. That may partly be because he never reads.

He said the maths and non vr were "ok".

MFL and Rugby Free here we come.

And he said it was very difficult. :(

Advice for any dp with dc doing this again; get them to read, read, read.
Rugbymumto2

Post by Rugbymumto2 »

Sorry, I forgot totally about the forum until last night, then decided it would be a bad move to read it in case it stressed me!
DD was shocked to meet people this week who have been doing 3 hours per day all summer and full school days for a couple of weeks so i didn't want to see it on here too. She has done about 1.5 hours per week, imo it had to be driven by her so that was what she did.
Anyway I am pleased that she was buzzing when she came out, finished almost all sections and can't remember a single detail other than the timings were evil! :lol:
Now to forget about it for a few more weeks, MFL next week but no prep for that and less time to kill while they are in!!
Rugbymumto2

Post by Rugbymumto2 »

ginx wrote:Well, my ds says he's sure all his comprehension was wrong and he had to guess all the vr. That may partly be because he never reads.

He said the maths and non vr were "ok".

MFL and Rugby Free here we come.

And he said it was very difficult. :(

Advice for any dp with dc doing this again; get them to read, read, read.
I think this might be where DD does well, she reads loads, although she has to be steered towards some genres. DS seems to be a bookworm too, he is quickly devouring her bookcase. Long may that continue.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now