Kings High, Warwick, entrance test query

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Warks mum

Kings High, Warwick, entrance test query

Post by Warks mum »

Does anyone have any tips on which papers are best for Kings High Verbal Reasoning? Their website helpfully refers to the "old" 11+ tests and the example papers sent out by Warwickshire - which obviously we don't receive any more!

Any clues as to which papers to buy from "Smiths" (see below) gratefully received!

Quote from King's website:

A major part of the entrance examination is the verbal reasoning test. We use the same test provider as the county and many candidates will be familiar with the kind of question set from similar tests they have been given as practice for local grammar schools.

The Moray House tests have a high reputation for their accuracy and consistency. The scoring is objective and the raw scores are adjusted to take account of the different ages at which the pupils may take the test.

If any family wants to look at the kind of question that will be set, there are a number of similar verbal reasoning practice tests which can be purchased from books shops including “Smithsâ€
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

No idea, sorry.
We are looking at Warwick School for our son and Kings for our daughter in two years. They both look great. Have you looked round Kings yet? Is it bigger than it looks from the outside?
old fashioned mum

kings high

Post by old fashioned mum »

sorry not to be more positive but we were horrified to see that kings girls does not offer triple science at gcse - even much feared local comp does offer triple science!
Also, again very subjective, our current prep school seems to send a selection of spoilt brats and nasty boys to warwick private schools- you probably know the types - parents go out to work to afford swanky car and mother arrives at school each morning as a candidate for the "mutton dressed as lamb" award. Both parents feel guilty as **** for neglecting child and are fed up it is not very bright so over compensate by spoiling it rotten!
I cannot think of any sane parent who would not prefer a grammer school if they had the choice! (and no we have not got sour grapes - we could afford it if we wanted and recent taster morning at kings only confirmed our worst suspicions!)
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Warks mum

It may be worth reading the following link re Moray House tests

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=2285

Patricia
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

Thanks for your comments - I was also very surprised to see that Kings is still working the "old" system after all the controversy about the 11+ in Warwickshire.

Since we haven't had a tutor, I was hoping to let my daughter try one "practice" paper before the real thing... but even with a £50 application fee Kings are not sending out practice papers any more! If anyone knows which papers I should buy I would appreciate the tip!

And to "old fashioned mum" - thanks for your interesting comments. As you will see from other posts in the forum, my daughter has done the 11+ for Warwickshire, but there's still the problem of travelling. We are left with a decision which goes something like: is a grammar school education worth an extra 10 hours a week travelling?

Post by Guest »

Warks Mum, I think you will find that the closest papers to the Moray House ones are the 'Athey Educational Secondary Portfolio' one's - packs 2 and 3.
DW

Post by DW »

The comment re children at Warwick and Kings not being bright was interesting. I went to Kings - albeit many years ago - and it was EXTREMELY academic at that time. Definitely no room for underachievers. I can't imagine things have changed that much. Sounds like a bit of sour grapes to me.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I agree DW. I got the same impression from Warwick when I looked around. They seemed to have many high achievers!
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Hi Warks Mum,

I don't know much about Kings High or Warwick entrance exams but a friend's daughter is doing Kings & I think she said she was told to practice Bond papers (or this might have been for Princethorpe - not much help am I?)

Re Old Fashioned Mum's comments. HOW BIZARRE!!! Kings High is well known for being one of the most academic schools in the area...... 35th out of over 1,000 on The Times list for A/A* at GCSE. Certainly a lot better than our local grammAr schools.

You go for it girl!!

Charlotte XX
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now