11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
aslongastheirhappy

Re: is KES right for DS?

Post by aslongastheirhappy »

Agreed! Thank you everyone.
Chuggabug

Post by Chuggabug »

kesok wrote: He is scruffy and has long hair that he hates having cut.
Ha ha! Been there, Kesok... there's a whole thread on this topic I started two years ago: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 58#p503656" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
In summary, whatever you're told, he will have to submit to a short back and sides if he goes to KES, but he might actually end up liking the new look. Good luck! :lol:
aslongastheirhappy

Post by aslongastheirhappy »

I called my friend who's ds is at KES with SEN and she can't praise the school highly enough. She says that she was a bit hesitant, but ds has done incredibly well (I don't want to say too much because he's winning so many awards, it wouldn't be too hard to work out who it was if you were in his class!). The rigidity and structure suits him well, and he knows where he stands. It has given him a real sense of pride and purpose, and has affirmed his good points. Behaviours that he displayed before have disappeared as he has is now in a 'can do' learning environment rather than a 'mustn't do' primary. She says that she feels that KES are very much in tune with what's needed to support his learning - both academically and with his particular quirks. Most of all, I get the impression that the boys at the school are warm and friendly towards him - he's told me personally that everyone is very kind to him, and he absolutely loves it there. He's really come into his own. He was very clever at primary, but always a bit in the background. But at KES he is really flying high. I hope this encourages you. Maybe it really is a case of everything to gain and nothing to lose. Only you know. :-D
kesok

Post by kesok »

Thank you so much for the warmth in your posts, everyone. Really appreciate the advice x
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I am sure AGS are equally good with SEN...I have certainly heard nothing negative about them! Ultimately they are both great schools so no bad decision. Sounds like your DS was very keen on AGS so would be happy there - in the end, that was what swung our school choice - where our son said he loved.
Smallbean

Post by Smallbean »

I am having the exact same dilemma in East Warwickshire.

You could have written a description of my son and we are weighing up Ashlawn vs LSS.

Everyone we ask who knows him is split 50:50. On the one hand I think the structure of LSS will be good for him but I'm worried they will disapprove of his more 'wild' ways.
Mumofbothsexes

Post by Mumofbothsexes »

I had to join this forum after seeing this question. My DS is at KES and has many of the issues your son faces. KES is wonderful and very inclusive, there really is a place for everyone. There is a "smartness" ethos but certainly no short back and sides haircuts. The culture is to proud of the school rather than anything else - and this seems to be a natural rather than enforced process.

Good luck with your decision, and congratulations for your DS on such a great result.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Mumofbothsexes wrote:There is a "smartness" ethos but certainly no short back and sides haircuts ...
Chuggabug and I may have to disagree with you there, Mumofboth! :lol:

JD
Mumofbothsexes

Post by Mumofbothsexes »

Obviously everyone's opinion and experience is different. My DS often sports a very "surfer dude" hair style and it has not been an issue - and I myself was very surprised when I attended my first music concert at KES to see a boy sporting a very impressive "Flock of Seagulls" haircut! - or am I showing my age.

Nothing against AGS as I am hope DD gets a place. My experience is just that KES has its fair share of children that may not have fit in well at primary but find their niche at KES.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Genuinely my son was told the week before half term that he needed a haircut before he went on a sports tour. He has a number 1 or 2 around the sides and back but it is slightly longer on top. I know of boys who have been stopped by the head of lower school or the head himself and told to be their hair sorted or have a shave etc. Flock of seagulls - if in Y7 may find that the concert was the point where he stood out!

I am sure AGS has things they are tighter on but every single person I know who goes there, boy or girl, and parents, love it! Certainly for the OP with one of each gender, AGS may be the right option and, for the last few years AQS has had a lower AQS than KEas or SGGS, so that is another thing in its favour!!