Does it matter which for first or second choice?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
JumpingJane

Does it matter which for first or second choice?

Post by JumpingJane »

Hi - first time registered, had a hunt about but couldn't see a topic that answered my query.

Does it matter which school you put down as first choice?
Really proud of DD ranked 127 score 226. Southern Area

She really wants AGS (looking at last years scores etc, she might stand a chance)
However, she said if she would go to SGGS as second choice. (imo she hasn't really made up her mind!)

I was told if we don't put SGGS as first choice they won't consider her, (they don't want anyone who doesn't want to go there as first choice!) so if we put AGS as first choice, are we effectively writing off SGGS?

What form does the offer letter take?
Is it possible to get offers from more than one, then she can choose in March?
Do we have to put SGGS first then AGS second - could the same thing apply to AGS, don't want you if you don't want them.

Sorry if this seems all a bit annoying, as it is a nice dilemma to have and not helpful for those who might be disappointed
mitasol

Re: Does it matter which for first or second choice?

Post by mitasol »

You are only going to be offered one school. If you qualify for a place at more than one school you will be offered the one you placed highest on your CAF.
phoenix45

Post by phoenix45 »

JumpingJane wrote:Hi - first time registered, had a hunt about but couldn't see a topic that answered my query.

Does it matter which school you put down as first choice?
Really proud of DD ranked 127 score 226. Southern Area

She really wants AGS (looking at last years scores etc, she might stand a chance)
However, she said if she would go to SGGS as second choice. (imo she hasn't really made up her mind!)

I was told if we don't put SGGS as first choice they won't consider her, (they don't want anyone who doesn't want to go there as first choice!) so if we put AGS as first choice, are we effectively writing off SGGS?

What form does the offer letter take?
Is it possible to get offers from more than one, then she can choose in March?
Do we have to put SGGS first then AGS second - could the same thing apply to AGS, don't want you if you don't want them.

Sorry if this seems all a bit annoying, as it is a nice dilemma to have and not helpful for those who might be disappointed
JumpingJane - there's a results 2016/entry 2017 topic where there's a lot of help - please visit there. Looking at the results you should safely be in for SGGS.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

JumpingJane wrote: I was told if we don't put SGGS as first choice they won't consider her, (they don't want anyone who doesn't want to go there as first choice!) so if we put AGS as first choice, are we effectively writing off SGGS?
Put the schools in the order you want them - the schools are not told where you've put them on the CAF so this statement is NOT true.
Last edited by Guest55 on Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
JumpingJane

Post by JumpingJane »

Guest55 - Interesting, thanks for the reassurance.

My reason for posting is that I suspect that AGS is actually harder to get into as there are less places (75 rather than 120) even thought last year AGS's AQS was lower than SGGS.

It reassures us because we can now safely put AGS as first choice and SGGS as second knowing that if she doesn't get AGS, she still stands a chance at SGGS. (also, we live in Stratford, so distance might come into the equation!)

The whole thing is very confusing - We took some advice read on another topic, to read results letter before showing DD in order to get our heads round it first - glad we did. We were able to let her know she had done well, as its not that obvious at first glance.

Even after all this, the whole thing is STILL dependent on what AQS' are set for this year so we are still not home and dry!
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Please do put your schools in the order that you actually prefer them on you CAF.

The important thing to remember is that each school ranks the children who name it *anywhere* on their CAF in the order according to their own admissions criteria. There is then a process (administered by your local authority, not the school) to establish which school your child will be offered.

The process checks whether you are eligible for a place at your top preference school. If you are, it releases all the other schools you've name on your CAF, which means that other people may now be offered those places. If you're not eligible for your top choice school, but you are eligible for your second, the schools below second are released, the second choice is held for you and they continue to check your eligibility for your first preference school as it is released from other children's CAFs.

It is counter-intuitive but you should remember that you may rank higher for your second or third preference school than another child who puts it as their first preference - in that case, you would receive a place before they do, even though they listed it higher on their CAF. The schools never find out which order you have put it on the CAF.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

The other thing to bear in mind is that if you put school B top of your list but you really want school A, and you then receive an offer from school B, you will not be held on the waiting list for school A - this school will be declined on your behalf as the local authority will assume that you are happy with school B (because you put it first).

If you put school A first, but only get an offer of school B, you can go on the waiting list for school A and may get a place later on.
JumpingJane

Post by JumpingJane »

streathammum - thanks for very comprehensive explanation. I am getting it sorted in my head now.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

AGS had 150 places for the highest scoring DC - no account is taken for gender. The 50/50 ratio is a happy coincidence.

JD