Alcester grammar school BOYS 50% & GIRLS 50%?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KW Dad

Alcester grammar school BOYS 50% & GIRLS 50%?

Post by KW Dad »

Hi All..I would appreciate if you could clarify my below questions.

My DS scored 219 as follows:

764 out of 2694 all children
415 out of 1367 all boys
187 out of 507 southern boys
353 out of 1037 southern children

My question is how does the ranking works? At the moment his 187 ranking is shared by 9 kids in southern circle.
1) what is the chance of my DSS securing a place in Alcester grammar school?
2) Will boys and girls share the total number of allocation equally in AGS ( 75 + 75)?
3) Am i allowed to put LSS as second option? if yes what would be the probability of getting place in LSS ( I live in southern circle).

We do live in southern priority circle.
Thanks.
Concerned08

Re: Alcester grammar school BOYS 50% & GIRLS 50%?

Post by Concerned08 »

Last year AGS accepted placing of below 450 ish (Children in the southern area).
The year before it was below 411.
So your place of 353 should put you in good standing.

AGS does not monitor the boy/girl ratio for its intake. It purely takes the top 150 applicants, regardless of the sex.
Historically it has worked out roughly 60/40 boys, but that is because of other factors like Stratford Girls has a larger intake than Statford Boys.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Where did you get that info from, Concerned08? Actually AGS is more like 50/50 gender wise. It is well known in Southern Warks that it is "easier" for girls to get a GS place because there are more places for girls.

I have answered your questions on your other thread KW Dad.
cyclodad

Post by cyclodad »

i think the figure comes from this which i hope is correct as DS is ranked 447 with 26 others

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... &start=160" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Concerned08

Post by Concerned08 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Where did you get that info from, Concerned08? Actually AGS is more like 50/50 gender wise. It is well known in Southern Warks that it is "easier" for girls to get a GS place because there are more places for girls.

I have answered your questions on your other thread KW Dad.
Wife's best friend is a teacher at AGS.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

That's interesting as it is not the information I was given by the head and WCC!!! No disrespect to the friend but I think I'll stick with the roughly 50/50!
unmumsy

Post by unmumsy »

Interesting, my daughter started AGS in September this year and said there are definitely more boys than girls in year 7...
Prosecco

Post by Prosecco »

KW Dad wrote:Hi All..I would appreciate if you could clarify my below questions.

My DS scored 219 as follows:

764 out of 2694 all children
415 out of 1367 all boys
187 out of 507 southern boys
353 out of 1037 southern children

My question is how does the ranking works? At the moment his 187 ranking is shared by 9 kids in southern circle.
1) what is the chance of my DSS securing a place in Alcester grammar school?
2) Will boys and girls share the total number of allocation equally in AGS ( 75 + 75)?
3) Am i allowed to put LSS as second option? if yes what would be the probability of getting place in LSS ( I live in southern circle).

We do live in southern priority circle.
Thanks.
This may be a very naive view but if you consider that there are 351 grammar school places in the Southern priority circle (150 AGS, 120 SGGS, 81 KES) then as your DS ranked 353 he is very likely to get into AGS unless there is a move against the traditional trend and lots of the very high scoring boys and girls choose AGS over KES and SGSS.

My DS started at AGS in September and tells me there are more boys than girls - the evidence is in the register. BTW DS is very happy and has settled well - I can't believe he has only been there for 6 weeks.
KW Dad

Post by KW Dad »

Hi Prosecco,

Have you consider the boys and girls from Birmingham, they may apply to AGS or SGGS as their secondary option?
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:That's interesting as it is not the information I was given by the head and WCC!!! No disrespect to the friend but I think I'll stick with the roughly 50/50!
Are you not both right? They do take the top 150 but in such a large cohort that tends, with the laws of probability, to be roughly 50/50 most years. The higher number of GS places for girls is surely because Shottery takes 120 vs 81 KES?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now