Alcester grammar school BOYS 50% & GIRLS 50%?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kenyancowgirl

Re: Alcester grammar school BOYS 50% & GIRLS 50%?

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Agreed, Yamin...that is exactly how it was explained to me by the Head and WCC!
kenyancowgirl

Re: Alcester grammar school BOYS 50% & GIRLS 50%?

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Prosecco wrote:
KW Dad wrote:Hi All..I would appreciate if you could clarify my below questions.

My DS scored 219 as follows:

764 out of 2694 all children
415 out of 1367 all boys
187 out of 507 southern boys
353 out of 1037 southern children

My question is how does the ranking works? At the moment his 187 ranking is shared by 9 kids in southern circle.
1) what is the chance of my DSS securing a place in Alcester grammar school?
2) Will boys and girls share the total number of allocation equally in AGS ( 75 + 75)?
3) Am i allowed to put LSS as second option? if yes what would be the probability of getting place in LSS ( I live in southern circle).

We do live in southern priority circle.
Thanks.
This may be a very naive view but if you consider that there are 351 grammar school places in the Southern priority circle (150 AGS, 120 SGGS, 81 KES) then as your DS ranked 353 he is very likely to get into AGS unless there is a move against the traditional trend and lots of the very high scoring boys and girls choose AGS over KES and SGSS.

My DS started at AGS in September and tells me there are more boys than girls - the evidence is in the register. BTW DS is very happy and has settled well - I can't believe he has only been there for 6 weeks.
Prosecco, great to hear your son is settled and happy. Whilst your analysis above is correct in theory, it makes more sense to focus on the rank of the DS amongst boys in the southern priority circle - ie the rank of 187. With 81 (but see my note re PP places) places at KES and approx 75 at AGS, he is slightly further outside the rankings than a dead cert. There are also those candidates who sit in the North of Southern Warks, who can apply to both Birmingham and Warks schools - there are always a good few who opt for KES if they get the score - but they may not appear in the rankings - neither will those late applicants or those from out of area, as they are not ranked in the first round of offers. Potentially, another unknown is the PP factor as PP applicants can score up to (I think) 10 marks lower than the AQS and be given preference.

This may be balanced by movement to private schools or some opting for Bham Grammars - which is why, whilst cautiously optimistic for KWdad, I would be chilling the fizz rather than opening it!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now