Outside the priority circle for Rugby Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
jacquie

Outside the priority circle for Rugby Grammar

Post by jacquie »

I'm puzzled. I know that for those living outside the priority circle for Rugby Grammar it's harder to get into the Grammar Schools. Do the results already have that weighting taken into account, as with the age weighting of the score positively for summer born children, or do those children in the outer circles just have to wait and see if there have a place until April? :roll:
kenyancowgirl

Re: Outside the priority circle for Rugby Grammar

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Being outside the priority circles in Warks does not give you a weighting per se. You accept that when you apply to the GS, you are effectively only given an opportunity in the 2nd round of offers, which takes place after March 1st. Some ooc people actually find out on 1st March as, the systems run pretty much concurrently (ie 1st round ends and 2nd round begins) but for others it takes a little longer.

In effect, the AQS for the relevant schools can often be drawn at around the rank/score of the people who sit at around the PAN of the school, regardless of whether they are in or out of area...ie the people setting the AQS set it to give them the best chance of getting the highest scoring kids, wherever they live, although, theoretically the in priority circle kids have first bite at teh cherry.
sportsforall

Post by sportsforall »

My reading (and someone more experienced can correct me) is that we are in the lower categories for allocating spaces ie criteria five and six:
Category 5
Children living outside of the priority areas who achieve the automatic qualifying score or above for this school, for this
particular year of entry.
Category 6
Children who score below the automatic qualifying score, but above the minimum score for the waiting list for this
school, for this particular year of entry.

The letter that accompanied offers for 2016 places (on Warks website - https://apps.warwickshire.gov.uk/api/do ... CC-699-529" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
suggests for RHS 8 girls were OOC, scoring as low as 203 to get a place however it looks as though the admissions criteria for 2016 are different to 2017. In 2017 there are up to 55 places for inner circle (not a circle at all) and up to 55 places for outer circle leaving up to 10 other places for either category one or two (looked after children and those in receipt of pupil premium) and those in category five and six. In 2016 60 girls from the inner circle were offered places but it looks as though this year there are five less places, 47 from the outer circle.

I think this means that with a high score girls OOC have a fairly good chance, but no idea if that is first or second round.

So whatever happens we won't know anything before the 1st March and I thought waiting for the results felt like a long time :-)
jacquie

Post by jacquie »

Thanks very much. I did a search on the archives and found some interesting posts. My query is for LSS and for a child of a friend living in Daventry. He scored 225 and ranked 46th. From what you say, it looks like a long wait again! Any other experiences and info gladly received! :?
guest201

Post by guest201 »

It all depends on where they set the automatic qualifying score. In Eastern Warwickshire in the last 3 maybe four years they have made first round offers to out of area children by setting the AQS a little higher so they can include higher scoring out of area kids at the expense of lower scoring in catchment children in the first round of offers, I believe this doesn't happen in the South.
There is no weighting on the scores though.
guest201

Post by guest201 »

As you say Jacquie, it will be a long wait until April.
sportsforall

Post by sportsforall »

jacquie wrote:Thanks very much. I did a search on the archives and found some interesting posts. My query is for LSS and for a child of a friend living in Daventry. He scored 225 and ranked 46th. From what you say, it looks like a long wait again! Any other experiences and info gladly received! :?
Sorry, I am so focused on the girls' scores :-). One point I have found very interesting is that the AQS for LS is higher that RHS, and this seems to go against the 'boys develop later' mantra we often hear. Overall DD (in % terms) was higher among girls than all children, suggesting the boys outperform the girls.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

Am I right to assume that a boy with 213 outside the priority circle will have no chance of getting an offer from AGS? The info said the waiting list score was 212 + last year, but I'm guessing all the high scoring out of circle children are at the top of the list?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

guest201 wrote:It all depends on where they set the automatic qualifying score. In Eastern Warwickshire in the last 3 maybe four years they have made first round offers to out of area children by setting the AQS a little higher so they can include higher scoring out of area kids at the expense of lower scoring in catchment children in the first round of offers, I believe this doesn't happen in the South.
There is no weighting on the scores though.
I'm not sure if you have read my post above? This is exactly what I have said...yes, it does happen in the south...it is about getting the highest ranked children for the schools.
mum1115

Post by mum1115 »

sorry, I'm getting really confused now.
my dd has a rank of 74 /530 of girls in southern circle and 157 of all girls. score 234
I had thought this was enough for Stratford girls but now i'm thinking maybe it isn't if enough outside the priority circle have a higher score than her?.