Rugby Free School or Harris Academy

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ssb321

Rugby Free School or Harris Academy

Post by ssb321 »

I've been weighing up some of the pros and cons of both schools and am undecided which to put higher on our CAF.

Rugby Free Secondary

+ Only one year (no older children)
+ Smaller class sizes
+ New modern school to be completed in Sept 2018 (again not sure if planning permission, protest etc could block this).

- Old building
- Don't seem to have many modern facilities
- Got the impression on the open days that most of the children didn't seem confident, or approached adults to show them around school.
- Impressions were they were dis-organised
- The catchment is from all over Rugby and may also include Northamptonshire (Daventry etc) or Leicestershire (not sure if this would be a +ve or -ve).

Harris Academy

+ Nice big open modern site
+ Plenty of sports facilities
+ Established
+ The pupils who showed us around were very enthusiastic
+ Pupils seemed to feel happy there, and came across very confident
+ Their performance tables show improvements in grades compared to Bilton and Avon Valley School.

- Has older children there (which in some cases can have a potential for bullying).
- Was rated as inadequate by ofsted in 2013 (but got the impression it was improving).

What are peoples thoughts on these schools? Which would you choose out of the two in terms of priority?
WarwickshireOzzie

Re: Rugby Free School or Harris Academy

Post by WarwickshireOzzie »

Personally, I haven't yet come across a free school I've been impressed by. And I'm anti-them anyway. In terms of Rugby Free - I followed it's FB page from the start and have not once been impressed by it. They give a very one sided account and when things are questioned, seem to get defensive or ignore the questions. I know of 2 children who started there this year who have now been removed. There is still huge controversy over the build and I wouldn't want my children working in the current building.

Harris on the other hand, has definitely made huge steps since the OFSTED where there was an overhaul of management and Governors and it became an academy. I know a teacher there - she says behaviour is much improved and results are rising, staff are good and there is a very consistent approach. Obv being a Church Secondary, and being a Diocese academy, there is a heavy Christian focus, but if you are ok with that - I'd def view it as a contender.
ssb321

Post by ssb321 »

WarwickshireOzzie wrote:Personally, I haven't yet come across a free school I've been impressed by. And I'm anti-them anyway. In terms of Rugby Free - I followed it's FB page from the start and have not once been impressed by it. They give a very one sided account and when things are questioned, seem to get defensive or ignore the questions. I know of 2 children who started there this year who have now been removed. There is still huge controversy over the build and I wouldn't want my children working in the current building.

Harris on the other hand, has definitely made huge steps since the OFSTED where there was an overhaul of management and Governors and it became an academy. I know a teacher there - she says behaviour is much improved and results are rising, staff are good and there is a very consistent approach. Obv being a Church Secondary, and being a Diocese academy, there is a heavy Christian focus, but if you are ok with that - I'd def view it as a contender.
Thanks that was very insightful. Appreciate your input. Will consider definitely your points when applying.
guest201

Post by guest201 »

I would steer clear of Rugby Free School for a few reasons. It is an unknown quantity, a school with no track record, they still don't have planning permission as far as I know. The small class sizes may sound attractive, as they do to other secondary schools in Rugby to offload their "challenging" children who would benefit from these smaller classes. Remember Bisop Wulstun
ssb321

Post by ssb321 »

guest201 wrote:I would steer clear of Rugby Free School for a few reasons. It is an unknown quantity, a school with no track record, they still don't have planning permission as far as I know. The small class sizes may sound attractive, as they do to other secondary schools in Rugby to offload their "challenging" children who would benefit from these smaller classes. Remember Bisop Wulstun
Thanks, I read their plans on the link below, and couldn't find anywhere within the document that says they've secured planning permission for the site.

http://rugbyfreesecondary.co.uk/wp-cont ... BOARDS.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think I will put it as last on my CAF, in case my DS doesn't get a place as the others. The other worst alternative for us is the Ofsted "special measures" Bilton School in our catchment, which many people are steering away from due to their recent Ofsted report.
guest201

Post by guest201 »

At least with Bilton, the only way is up :D
kat2000

Post by kat2000 »

Bilton's GCSE results are up by 12% at the moment and that's without the results from retakes. My children don't go there but we are in the catchment area and all my son's friends that go there absolutely love it. A friend's son left there 2 years ago with 10 A s at GCSE level and is now at university. I looked round the school on a normal school day and was impressed by the warmth that existed between teachers and pupils. They have recently had on Ofsted inspection, so we'll see ....
kat2000

Post by kat2000 »

12 % rise in 5 GCSEs at grades A* to C (incl. maths and English) at Bilton I mean.
relaxedabout11+

Post by relaxedabout11+ »

I have a dd at Bilton, and will have no problem with sending ds there if he doesn't get in to Ashlawn with his MFL result. It is our second choice on our CAF.

Despite the OFSTED report our dd is excelling there. She is happy, settled, works hard and we've not experienced any of the issues mentioned in the report. She is predicted very high grades, and the staff there have been excellent (in my opinion).

Everyone has their own opinion of each school, and it's so important to consider what is right for the individual child, but my experience of Bilton has been an extremely positive one.
ssb321

Post by ssb321 »

kat2000 wrote:Bilton's GCSE results are up by 12% at the moment and that's without the results from retakes. My children don't go there but we are in the catchment area and all my son's friends that go there absolutely love it. A friend's son left there 2 years ago with 10 A s at GCSE level and is now at university. I looked round the school on a normal school day and was impressed by the warmth that existed between teachers and pupils. They have recently had on Ofsted inspection, so we'll see ....
Good points, but the worst thing for me in a school are incidents of bullying. I know the effects it can have on a child's confidence. Some of the points from the Bilton School Ofsted report:

* Incidents of bullying are frequent. Pupils have no confidence in staff to deal with bullying.

* The arrangements for safeguarding are not effective. Although all statutory safeguarding duties, including recruitment checks, policies and training are in place, the prevalence of bullying among pupils means that the school is not keeping pupils safe.

* Bullying is rife across Key Stages 3 and 4. Many pupils and groups of pupils told inspectors that bullying is common and that the school’s systems to deal with bullying do not work. More than 40% of parents who responded to Ofsted’s online Parent View questionnaire do not believe that the school deals with bullying effectively.

* Although pupils are taught about safety issues, including bullying, through a taught programme including ‘citizenship days’, this teaching is not changing pupils’ behaviour because it is not supported by clear, high expectations of conduct and effective systems to deal with bullying. For example, pupils understand that different types of bullying, including homophobic bullying, are wrong, but pupils still bully and use
homophobic language.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now