Some advice on the appeals process from a veteran

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Philster37

Some advice on the appeals process from a veteran

Post by Philster37 »

I have been through 3 appeals and have been successful.
I also checked the information on this web site - it is extremely good and well balanced. Before you think about an appeal, please read it through.

My children both passed the 11+ so my experience was in supporting others directly in the process without having the huge emotional baggage which goes with it. If you want to appeal, involve an objective thinker. The stakes are very high for the parents so be prepared for an emotional experience.

The key thing to remember is that the people on the panel have no connection with the LEA. In fact on two occasions one person on the panel had no knowledge of the 11+ process (!). The panel members are only there to rationalise what is fair, based on the fact that there are probably NO places available. Places cannot be created where none exist. Remember also, that students drop out of school (parents relocate etc.) so it may be easier to win an appeal at Easter or summer during year 7.

Most people understand that each appeal is for a particular school because the thresholds are different.

Do remember that the 11+ is a process to determine whether your child is bright enough to succeed in an academic grammar school environment. On one occasion, our strategy was to demonstrate excellence in a High School and seek an appeal for a place in year 8. The student was so committed and outperformed everyone in the year that the appeal was successful.

Also remember that High Schools offer GCSEs and A levels and vocational training and children can be happy there also, particularly if all their school friends are going there.

If you decide to appeal - you will need to develop arguments which go beyond the mere details of the 11+ exam because the panel will be considering other criteria. Good Luck!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

How kind of you to offer your advice. I hope that your children are doing well and enjoying life at whichever school they attend.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now